Symptoms that I need a new pool filter motor?

About 45 seconds when my pool filter motor kicks on, it shuts down the breaker on the house. It even sounds like it's slowing down right before it throws the breaker. I'm not too knowledgeable about electric motors, but as they heat up doesn't their impendence increase resulting in drawing more power until it shuts the breaker off?

Anyways, is this a sign I need a new motor? What exactly is happening?

Thanks!

Reply to
pelty

Put a long screwdriver against the bearing housings on each end of the pump and hold your ear to the handle. Have someone start the pump and see if you hear grinding sounds. The next step would be to TURN OFF THE BREAKER then take off the end cap and try to spin the shaft. it should spin fairrly freely. There is probably a screwdriver slot on the end. If it is binding or the bearings feel/sound crunchy you have identified your problem. Usually you can take the motor off without removing the pump head plumbing. What brand is it? Sta-rites come apart differently than Haywards. Once you get it apart you could find string or gunk in the impeller housing, that could be good news. If you still have a bound up motor you can rebuild it, have it rebuilt or buy a new one.. Sometiimes they will sell a whole pump for less than a motor if they have a promotion going on.

Reply to
gfretwell

Put an amp clamp on one of the wires of the motor and measure the current. If it is over the rated plate current on the motor...that's your problem. If not, perhaps the breaker is bad. Also, check all your connections and if you have a bad one you may notice some burnt insulation or discoloration....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac