Swimming pool- rusty heater pipes

I have been getting poor circulation through my pool heater, so I took the plumbing apart and found that the inlet and outlet pipes (metal) are rusted something awful. The pipes are about 2 inches in diameter, but have so much rust built up inside that there is less than a half inch of space.

Replacing the pipes (and cleaning the heat exchanger, etc.) is easy enough, but I'm wondering if the new pipes will rust as well? In other words, is this just a necessary evil over time (15 years in this case) or is there some way to prevent this? Some other kind of pipe? Or maybe someone didn't maintain the chemicals well?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Maybe see if someone in a muffler shop can fab you up something with stainless steel exhaust pipe?

Reply to
Greg

depending on your heater, check with the manufacture, you might be able to use pvc. In the old days when I put my heater in the directions said to install rigid nipples for 4-6 inches. Then you could change over to pvc. Do not use copper pipes

Reply to
SQLit

I took the

(metal) are rusted

have so much

space.

easy enough,

words, is

is there

someone didn't

A thorough search might help you find some stainless steel replacements. Probably at some commercial/industrial plumbing place.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Copper.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Copper can leach into the water. They make sequestering agents but that is just one more chemical in the soup

Reply to
Greg

Hey Joe, I have a friend who had this problem recently. His pool is only one year old! Here is what the pool heater manufacturer told him...

YOU HAVE NOT BEEN KEEPING THE WATER IN YOUR POOL PROPERLY CHEMICALLY BALANCED AND THIS CAUSED THE WATER TO ATTACK THE COPPER PIPING IN YOUR POOL HEATER

Basically, the way he described it is when the ph or some other analysis of the water gets to a certain point the corrosion starts in the piping...you have to maintain your pool water continuously.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill

It takes on the order of pounds of copper to affect the water. There will be problems with the heater itself before that much "leaches". "Leaching" accounts for a trivial amount of copper dissolution.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Copper and chlorine don't get along very well. The copper won't last long.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I just took out 25-year-old 1-1/2" copper lead-in pipes while decommissioning a heater. Not a touch of corrosion. Imagine that.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch