Sweating on small fittings

Hi,

I'm practicing sweating 1/2" copper pipes, but I find that when sweating on small fittings, such as a coupling or an elbow, I melt the solder in the first joint when working on the second because they are so close. What's the trick to avoid this problem?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Speed, number one--do both at same time.

Second, if that isn't possible, wrap damp cloth around the first while doing the second.

Third, practice, practice, practice...will lead to #1

--

Reply to
dpb

Why mess around. Braze the fittings. 5 percent sil-phos. don't need flux. Works every time.

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

Dave + Gloria wrote: ...

WAAAAY overkill, primarily why...

--

Reply to
dpb

Make sure you are heating the pipe, not the fitting. This should heat up the fitting enough to do both ends at the same time.

My rookie sweating story:

I had just added a T to an existing pipe when I needed to stop and turn the water back on. I sweated a 1 foot section of pipe into the T and then started to sweat a cap onto the end of the pipe. It took me a little longer than it should have and just about the time the solder was starting to melt, the cap shot off the end of the pipe like a bullet and flew across the basement.

The wife wasn't happy about the melted carpet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Was that because of the expanding air? Don't you solve that problem by keeping a faucet open?

Reply to
Aaron Fude

that's normal. Just do both sides at the same time.

Steve Barker DLT

Waste of time, that's why.

Steve Barker DLT

Always apply the heat to the fitting. It is heavier and the pipe will follow along getting hot.

Make sure you are heating the pipe, not the fitting. This should heat up the fitting enough to do both ends at the same time.

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Whoops...that's what I meant but it sure wasn't what I typed!

Gotta member to pruufread afore I hit Sent.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You do one end and then the other while it's still hot. It don't matter if the other end isn't cooled yet. What I do is steel wool all the ends, paint flux on all the ends, put the whole thing together then start sweating at one end working to the other end.

I sent this yesterday but it got lost or deleted.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly