Suspended Drywall Ceiling

Hi, And if and when water gets to it......

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Plywood? What about fire resistance?

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

What about it ??? You've never seen a wood ceiling in a house ??? The only place you need a fire resistant ceiling is in a garage with living space above it and in some places kitchen ceilings with living space above it are required to have 5/8 fireshield sheetrock.....HTH...

Reply to
benick

And, regardless of code, over furnaces. Not as much of an issue with newer high efficiency units, but the old boilers and burners kicked off a lot of heat, which would dry out the wood and over time would lower the combustion temperature of the framing.

RicodJour

Not in construction that's less than 20 years old.

Take your word for it. But, for myself, I would not be happy with a plywood ceiling in a basement. I figure my family would be safer with a somewhat fire resistent ceiling.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Get out much? Pretty popular in the Adirondacks- simulating the great camps of the last century.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Horse hockey...In the NEW house I just finished the sheetrocking the ceiling in the den/office was Pine Bead Board....I see it ALL the time.....It may be a Nanny Code in your area/city , but it is far from being " common" , atleast in the Northeast.....

Reply to
benick

Medical and electronic clean rooms have used 2' x 4' vinyl faced 1/2" drywall panels for drop ceilings for many years with no sagging issues with commercial "T" and "L" shape drop ceiling grid supporting the panel on 4 sides. One of the local big box lumberyards has even begun selling pre-cut 2' x 4' panels. It would be a good idea to either tape or paint seal the edges of the drywall as well as painting a few extra panels in case any were to get damaged on removal in the future. We always keep a few extra on hand.

I'm planning to do the same in my basement with the better looking custom made wood grid stained to contrast. If you do have any mositure issues (high humidity summers, etc.) gluing ribs to the back would be a very good idea.

Reply to
MedEngineer