Sum Pump Problem

The link above shows a picture of my system. The pipe with the clear coupling that is circled is leaking.

Is it normal for this pipe to be full considering we have had a pretty dry spring?

Is this pipe incoming or outgoing?

I plan on calling in help to a plumber, I just wanted to get familiar with the system before I do so.

Thanks

P.S. If this post is a duplicate, please forgive me.

Reply to
BGREER5050

It should be outgoing it is a check valve to stop water from back flowing when the pump turns off. it is easy to replace.

Reply to
m Ransley

That looks like the check valve. It lets water go up but not down So after it runs the pipe above it is still full and could leak. You want to keep the value there, it keeps water from outside from coming in and flooding your basement.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That looks like a check valve which is there to keep water from flowing back into the sump pump hole after the pump shuts off. Normally it would have water in the line from above the valve to the point where it exists the house and begins it's downward journey to wherever it ends. So, it could be leaking without the pump having run recently, however there should only be a gallon or so of water to leak out.

Can you tell what's actually leaking? It's most likely the clamps and you may be able to fix it yourself quite easily. Worst case, you can just take off the whole check valve assembly and bring it to a plumbing supply or home center and they could give you what you need to fix it. Probably save at least $100.

Reply to
trader4

It's hard to tell from the picture if it's a drain or a discharge. How about tighten the clamps on that fermco coupler, and see if that helps?

I corrected the spelling for you. It's a sump pump.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As others have mentioned it is a check valve which consists of a rubber flapper that allows water to pump out and then seal from the weight of the water in the pipe once the pump shuts off. It is normal for water to be in the pipe above as the rubber seals quite well from the weight of the water on top. If the pipe is full of water, then the check valve sounds like it is working just fine. Check for cracks in the valve body and consider removing the check valve and reclamping it on the PVC pipe to reseal it. If all else fails just pick up a new check valve at your local home improvement store for about 10 bucks and youre good to go.

Reply to
ceraboy

As others have said its called a check valve. Yes, its normal to have water above it. Its for discharging water from your sump.

Now, considering a dry spring, why would you have water in the pipe? Easy - I can see from the picture that you also have a water softener. Every time the water softener 'recharges' it will dump some water into your sump hole. You sump pump will pump it out when it gets full enough.

Its an easy fix, no need to call a plumber. There are band clamps above and below the check valve. Just use a screwdriver and loosen them. Remove everything between the top clamp and the bottom clam. Take it all to Lowes or Home depot or your helpful hardware man. Ask him for ... Just give him what you removed, tell him you want a new everything, same size. Then just put it all back the way it came off.

FYI - There will be some water above the valve. It will pour out when you remove the old valve. Just have a few towels and a bucket handy. Shouldn't be too much water, certainly not enough to fill a bucket.

Good luck

Reply to
No

a small leak in the check valve is not such a bad thing.

If the valve were perfect, the water would just sit there in the pipe for a long long time. It can cause freeze problems outside

If the valve leaks a little, that water will slowly empty back into the sump and be absorbed into the ground.

Mark

Reply to
Mark