Sub-panel rough-in options

Hi,

Can a sub-panel be installed in the ceiling between two ceiling joists with breakers pointing down?

I'm also thinking of an alternative locations. I know that there is a rule against installing subpanels in closets - but what counts as a closet? I have a gigantic walk in closet that one can think of as a small room. And I'm open to removing the door off of that closet (it's in the basement). Would that be OK?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

You can't install it in the ceiling. You can put it in a closet if there is a clear 6.5 feet floor to ceiling space where it's installed, and adequate working room in front of and around the panel, and the closet is dedicated as an electric closet.

Reply to
RBM

More importantly, one reason for such restrictions is what can happen inside the panel in case of a major short in the house, or a catastrophic power surge coming down the line. If there's one place you don't want flying sparks, it's inside your roof.

Of course, it's also nice to be able to reach the breakers quickly if something is sizzling.

Then you have the added fun of possibly shocking yourself while standing on a chair/ladder...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

There is a maximum height for breakers, something like 6'7", so it would to be a very low ceiling. There may be additional restrictions that require it to be on a wall.

I believe the 2008 NEC clarified that the prohibition is on installing a panel in a clothes closet. So if you don't store clothes in the closet it would be OK. Or if you were to dedicate part of the closet to the panel, perhaps with its own door, that might fly. You'd need to be sure to maintain the proper working clearance around the panel, I think it is 3' by 3' but am not sure.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Aaron the others gave you some good advice, but whenever I have a doubt about something like that I call the electrical inspector to get confirmation that it is okay. He will have the final say on whether it is acceptable or not. Hopefully you got a permit for this work and can give the inspector a call.

Reply to
John Grabowski

On the other hand, if he did not get a permit, then it doesn't really matter.

just a thought....

Steve Barker

*Yes then he can follow the "Homeowners DIY Code" and let the next owner worry about the code violations. That's good for my business.
Reply to
John Grabowski

or perhaps he's like me, and does it properly and there won't be a next homeowner.

Steve Barker

Unless you know something that no one else in the world knows, there will be another owner someday.

Reply to
hrhofmann

i know and several others know. it'll be torn down for subdividing and development when we expire.

Unless you know something that no one else in the world knows, there will be another owner someday.

Reply to
Steve Barker

obviously you havent made the home nice enough:(

they wouldnt tear down a mansion........

of course if the economy doesnt impropve a broom closet might be a desired home for many

Reply to
hallerb

it's a 137 yo farmhouse of no particular value. it's not a mansion. 1300 feet. no ornate wood work. Been down to studs for almost 3 years now. I'm working on it. Believe me, my boys do not want to live here. We love it here though and will be here 'till the hearse comes. Then they can develop the 80 acres and sit back.

steve