stuck with tiling

Hi All,

we just bought a house! In the kitchen next to the door we had tiles which were broken and moving, it was really annoying every time you step on them, so we decided to replace them. As the kitchen is done in extension of the house we presumed that the floor underneath is concrete, well... it is, but the concrete finishes about 20cm outside of the door, what follows is rubber like material and there is a hollow space underneath (it could be a waterproof/damp proof membrane) I highlighted this on the picture with the yellow circle nr 1, this material is moving (bumpy) so when you press it you can make a bump in it and than it will jump out. We thought this membrane is supported on wood - so we bought plywood and wanted to screw it in to even out that bit before putting the tiles on - but the screw wouldn't go in (nr 2 on the pic), I think that the tiles broke originally because this is not a solid ground it moves and the movement makes tiles to crack and i'm worried if I will lay the tiles back on it they will crack again, what would be the best way to lay a tile on this surface?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

link to the picture

Mietek

Sounds like you have the "mushy stuff" and then solid beneath?

Scrape out the mushy and fill that void with self leveling product typically used for tile floors. Goes down like a milk shake, seeks its own level and hardens in an hour or so. Great stuff.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Mietek-

Google is having a problem displaying your picture.

I suggest you have a general contractor look at it, and estimate the job of replacing the floor and subfloor. It may mean tearing out what you have and pouring a complete concrete slab, especially if it is down on the ground.

From your description, my impression is that the kitchen construction was a home project, not done by someone who knew what they were doing. I think you are kidding yourself about stabilizing the lumpy membrane.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Sounds like you have the "mushy stuff" and then solid beneath?

Scrape out the mushy and fill that void with self leveling product typically used for tile floors. Goes down like a milk shake, seeks its own level and hardens in an hour or so. Great stuff.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yep, used that floor leveling compound here 20 years ago.

All fine

Reply to
philo

Uh huh.

Uh huh. That's what will happen.

I think after "The Blob" with Steve McQueen finished showing in the movie theatres, the Blob took refuge in some private home. You have probably found it, and should be able to make a lot of money exhibiting it. So if you do put a better foundation for your floor, leave at least a square foot unchanged and open to show visitors. If you make that a square yard, you'll be able to charge more. If you make it at least half the kitchen (You can also build another kitchen somewhere else) you could also make a video to show in the living room. You'll need a really big tv and a good sound system, but you'll be able to charge seveal times the second price I mentioned.

You should mention how one of your kids narrowly escaped being eaten. If you don't have kids, that's even better, because you can say that one of the neighbor kids *was* eaten.

Reply to
micky

You seem to have other problems, based on the picture. The material on the concrete that supposedly used to have tile on it is not properly applied. I have only done ceramic counter top tile, but have watched floor tile laying. the entire surface must be coated with the adhesive material so the entire tile is supported when weight is applied by you walking on it later, etc.

Google tile laying and see if you can fine a video of the correct procedure.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn
9

LOL, I remember that movie

philo

The big question here is what's underneath the problem area and how sound is it? It looks like that was some transition area from slab to something else. First job is to make it solid.

Reply to
trader_4

You need to lift that rubber material and see what is under it. That your screws broke suggests it's concrete. That would be a good thing because yo u may be able to remove the rubber material and then level with thin set wh ile putting down new tiles. Tiles will have the same problem if you put th en down over that rubber stuff.

In any case you need a solid subsurface for tile or it will lift, crack, an d the grout will come out.

Reply to
jamesgang