Straightforward out-of-the-box solution for extending WiFi range

Maybe we should broadcast something so people don't land on a used channel. 6 Watts spread spectrum? Maybe. Unifi?

Reply to
dave

Hi Tony,

So far they haven't reported any problems.

The Unifi AP-LR was set up at a neighbor's home, so, I don't have a scan for it (that scan above is from my home, because I was looking for a distant WiFi channel 9 interference source that was showing up in a spectrum analysis run from my rooftop radio):

What I like about the Ubiquiti equipment is sheer POWER! Those access points are 6 Watts! Compare that to the puny 1/10th of a Watt of your typical home broadband router.

And, these access points mount like a C02 detector, either on the wall or on the ceiling, and, they don't need anything but an Ethernet cable connected to them (as the power supply is at the other end of the Ethernet cable).

So, for extending WiFi range at home, I am learning all I can about these things, since they seem to be the right price and power and they seem to kick consumer equipment's butt! :)

As for the Android tools to track WiFi access points and SSIDs, I have InSSIDer freeware on my Android phone and on the laptop.

On Android, I also use WiFi Analyzer, which, I like better than InSSIDer. There's also "WiFi Signal Strength", which gives tabular reports.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the technical expertise to get WiFi Stumbler (aks Kismet, I think) & pcap capture working to tell me useful information yet inside those packets grabbed over the air, so, that's my next WiFi project when I get around to it.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

6 Watts only goes so far ...

The houses out here are on 40-acre zoning, so, if you have 79 acres, you can only build one house. Even though it's Silicon Valley, it's way up in the mountains above, so, the 6 Watts "shouldn't" be a problem for this neighbor (who is on over 25 acres and her neighbors are similarly far apart).

As for those 6 Watts ...

I know that *my* rooftop radio has a 28dBm transmit power plus a 24dBi antenna gain, which gives me an EIRP of 52dBm, which is a whopping

158 Watts!

So, we're all radiating out here ... :)

In fact, most of my neighbors have the same equipment as I have, and, even with all that power bouncing around, my spectrum analysis scans show signals which all seem to be in the low 10% usage range...

I'm not sure what that really means to someone who knows what they are doing, but, I *think* it means that our bands are not crowded, although it would be nice to see what other people get for % Usage.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

There are pros and cons to both arguments: using the same SSID on multiple AP's (on different channels, of course), versus using different SSID's.

When I set up systems for other people, I use the same SSID much more often than not because it reduces confusion. Most of the people I deal with are

50-90 years old, so having a single SSID to remember is easier for them. Mobility, as in roaming, is usually not a consideration because they tell me they always use their laptop in THIS room and they always use their tablet in THAT room, etc.
Reply to
Char Jackson

Makes sense. These people are like that also. Apple users. :)

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

If the underlying networks are bridged, this is a supported configuration and it allows client machines to move between the access points seamlessly.

If the networks are not bridged, this will cause IP conflicts and other problems.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

I call it dueling routers. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

As opposed to dualing routers? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have five but they just make sawdust.

Reply to
krw

Or the dualism of routers. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Everyone seems to have different definitions of what constitutes "carrier class" or "professional" wireless hardware. For me, it's quite simple. Will it do SNMP and can it be monitored and managed with 3rd party tools? I think you'll find that SNMP support will make a good dividing line between consumer and pro. The average home user doesn't need SNMP even if it's provided. I need it to keep a mess of access points and routers alive and provide reports and pretty graphs to keep the customer happy. ISP's need SNMP to allow a diverse collection of dissimilar hardware to be monitored and managed with a single software tool:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Interesting. I've got SNMP on all the Ubiquit radios, and, I've never used it.

Although, that was precisely your point!

Reply to
Danny D.

Hi Jeff, That's what we did. We used ch 1 & 6 so as not to overlap.

I'm really starting to like these access points, although, the "controller" software is a pain.

For example, we tried to set up a second access point at another site, and the first access point setup kept getting in the way.

Had we known, we would have just wiped out the controller software on our PC, before starting.

If they just put a web server on these Unify access points, it would make it easier for the consumer. But, other than the lousy controller software setup (which, in effect, is merely a login shell for the access point), these Ubiquiti Unify long-range access points are nice for consumer use.

Reply to
Danny D.

This is interesting.

I haven't set this up at my own home, so, I'm only going off what the neighbors are saying, so, we'll keep this caveat in mind.

However ... just guessing ... it would seem to me that, if we use the same SSID, that the STRONGEST should win, and, if one disconnects, it *should* (logically anyway) switch seamlessly over to the stronger signal as the person roams the home.

I'll need more data from the neighbors to confirm or discount that theory though ...

Reply to
Danny D.

Everything I write is interesting. Sometimes, it's even accurate.

Fat chance. That's the way it should work. Instead, what happens is that the client will remain connected to the initial access point, no matter how weak or disgusting a signal it offers. Even if turn off the client device, it will try to reconnect to the same initial access point, even if there's a stronger/better signal with the same SSID evailable. Even if you intentionally disconnect, the client will retain the MAC address of the initial access point. When you try to reconnect, it will try that MAC address first.

Intel seems to have gotten the clue and offers a setting as to how "aggressive" the client will act in retaining a connection: It's not a total solution, but does work rather well on my various laptops.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Stop using them on ultra liberal idiots, and let the termites finish them off.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That bytes! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If they aren't bridged, they're probably routed. Then, if each segment has a unique IP address space, it should just work. But if each segment has the same IP address space, the main problem won't be IP conflicts but rather IP routing issues. The IP stack will treat it as Layer 2 but it needs to be treated as Layer 3. I assume that's the "other problems" mentioned above.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Heh heh ... :)

Reply to
Danny D.

Nah, it's too hard to clean the routers after. The brains and guts are too small to be a problem but the blood gets everywhere.

Reply to
krw