Greenish stain near bathtub drain Q???

One of our full bathrooms has a 30 year old fiberglass tub and surround. About 10 years ago it was commercially refinished to change its color. Over time the faucet must have developed a tiny drip leak and where the drip dropped (?) it developed a greenish stain on the finish. We do not have chlorinated water as we're in the country and on a deep well.

I've tried the usual CLR and limeaway, both of which did absolutely nothing to remove/reduce the stain. The stain is not very pronounced but it is there.

Just wondering if any readers have solved this particular type of problem before and what the secret was?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions.

Reply to
BobMCT

Thanks Oren. Yeah, all my pipes are copper. Dang!!! Always something. Maybe it would be cheaper to modify my softener system.

Reply to
BobMCT

That tells me that you have acidic water. Not good.

Reply to
krw

I'd contact the business that refinished you tub, or any local company that does that kind of work, and see if they know of the problem, and what the fix is.

If anyone would know what caused the stain and how to get rid of it, they'd by most likely to know.

Reply to
nestork

Haven't tried yet but plan to this weekend. Also, my WS is an exchange system because we're not supposed to backflush our tanks into septic. But sewers are being installed next spring so that may change.

I'll post my results when they happen. Happy week end all.

Reply to
BobMCT

Copper stains are pretty easy to get rid of. That's not the point, though. If the stain is copper, it means that his pipe is being eaten away.

Reply to
krw

Water treatment?

krw

Depending on what the underlying problem is, the solution might be as simple as a softener. It may take a little more but it's not an insoluble (sorry) problem.

Reply to
krw

It the problem is due to acid water, then consider treating it promptly. My sister has that problem with spring water which was handled for some years with a system that used ion exchange. Salt had to be added to a tank from time-to-time to reactivate the exchange media. She didn't service the salt tank for some weeks one year and was rewarded with several pin-hole leaks in her copper pipes and an expensive visit by a plumber.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

I have a slow drip from a faucet in a bath that is hardly used. Because of this slow leak over time there is now a blue green stain under spout. Note ; I have city water, copper pipes, and a newish water softener. The tub is fiberglass. I have used typical cleaners, but to no effect. Researching the internet I read about a "Cream of Tartar" and "Baking Soda" mixed in equal parts with water. These items are available in the grocery sore. Great, o kay, yes I tried it, and "good golly miss Molly" - it works. First application did 80% to removed of the stain. I slathering on more pa ste for a second shot, and I waited 2 hours. More progress, but not comple te. Third try, more slathering, and in addition I left a damp cloth over t he application site over night so it would not dry out. Yes, more progress, 98% done. Remember I am not an expert - I'm just working the problem. Full disclosure; I am a former naval pilot who is working on a 25 year old house. I do not have any affiliation with McCormick Inc., and their "Cream of Tartar", or Arm & Hammer Inc., and their "Baking Soda". However, I happ y I'm pleased with the results. There are a lot of solution on the web. They don't always apply to your pa rticulars. I spent several hours on the net for this answer. Good luck.

Reply to
easyflyer10