Stinkin, but brand new 5 brick natural gas radiant heater.

I've got a large, open shop (1100 sq ft), insulated, 8 ft ceiling and this new heater smells. It's been used for a couple of weeks so it's not a new smell, but that of unburned gas, I imagine. The pilot is nice and blue and it heats OK. This is a radiant type, no open flame. What's goin on? There is no smell when the unit is off, so it's not a leak on the line side of the valve.

Reply to
JoeMorgan

Did you pull all the protective plastic film off the shiny parts, when you assembled it out of the box? :^/

Seriously, no good ideas, unless maybe it is poorly baked paint in the thing cooking. All my life, at the start of heating season, that burning dust smell was a sign of the changing seasons, and almost welcome after the cold outdoors. It doesn't take much material to make a stink- a single glob of lube or sealant on a hot surface can stink up a whole house. I'd fieldstrip the thing, and wipe down all the heating and heated surfaces with a no-residue solvent, and reassemble.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers