Stihl or Husqvarna?

anyone with a recommendation for a small, arborist style chainsaw? the goal is the be able to operate it in small spaces with one hand.

please suggest also an online web store, if you know of any that sell Stihl or Husqvarna.

am aware of the Stihl 192T which appears to be little under 7 lbs but am willing to look at alternatives.

Reply to
joe

Some things are best bought at a local dealer. The saw will be assembled and set up to run perfectly.

Both are very good. My dealer in town sell both but gives a slight edge on reliability to Stihl.

I don't know of any brand or model that is truly safe with one hand so you'll have to make your own choice there. The balance would be difficult at best, but I'd think smaller is better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Both are good saws. I have a preference for the Stihl, but sales are tightly regulated.

Reply to
Phisherman

You're asking about the *most* dangerous use of a chainsaw there is.

Best to ask the pros at the link below. These guys will be quite blunt about asking if you have the proper training to operate such a saw, but you're best to listen to their advice as it is for your own good. These guys know from experience...

Aarboristsite.com - Commercial Tree Care and Climbing...

Bill

-snip-

-snip-

I'll second that thought-- and raise it.

You're looking at 2 excellent brands. It suggests that you are going to use them to make money. Down time costs you money. Pay a few extra bucks now and buy it locally. And ask which the dealer prefers. The saw the dealer likes will be the one he's most familiar with. The mechanic will attend all the schools- and read all the bulletins from that manufacturer. You drop your saw off for a tune-up and that guy knows that the maker just discovered that changing screw xyz to bolt wxy will keep the saw from falling apart in the field. You just saved the price of a new saw that you had to buy to finish that job.

I'd love to see the manual that says 'so light you can use it with one hand'. OTOH- 30 years ago I one handed my 16" Poulan on occasion & still have all my parts. [and on yet another hand- my neighbor survived a 2-handed kickback that split his face from lower jaw to forehead and all he's got to show for it is a new nose, a great scar, and a appreciation for a liquid diet for several months]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My dealer sells those two but says Echo now has a better motor, he bases it on repairs he makes. I was looking for trimmers and blowers, I know saws are different and the motor is only part of it and I am not familiar with saws just refering to the engines. But local Echo has a 3 or 5 yr warranty.

Reply to
ransley

Echo motors I believe have the longest hour rating with semi synthetic, a 300 hour rating, some models have chrome sleves and 2 piston rings. Check engine ratings many are 50 hours. I believe this is pollution rating by EPA. Buy it as a consumer and its a 5 yr warranty.

Reply to
ransley

Get a hand saw. If you don't know anything about chainsaws to the degree that you are looking for one you can operate with one hand, that's what you're going to end up with. One hand.

If it is that tight, and the branches are that small, get some good loppers or an electric. If you really need an arborist chain saw, get either, as they are good, and read the directions where it plainly says TWO HANDS ONLY.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If you really want to operate it one-handed you should look into electric chainsaws, you can get light ones that start & stop with a trigger. Much safer if you are up a ladder ;)

nick hull

As others have said. Buy it from a dealer, the big box stores do not service equipment.

If you can go the price, buy the professional model - there is a world of difference between pro and homeowner in chainsaws.

Never one-hand a chainsaw no matter how light or balanced it may be. Yes, the top handle saws can be used that way but it is about the most dangerous thing you can do in using a saw. Yes I used to do it until I almost cut my thumb off.

Bill's link is an excellent one.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I thought I'd save a few bucks by buying a new Husq.. on line rather than buying locally... I did save about $35. But when I tried it out the first time, the bar/chain got very hot after running it only a short time. Upon checking out what was wrong, I discovered the bar that came with the saw in the box did not have a oil hole to let the bar oil into the chain...... That would never have happened if I would have bought locally.. Luckily I did not run it long enough to incurr any damage to the chain or saw.....

I would suggest getting a catalog from each manufacturer to see what different size saws each make and go to your local dealer and ask them for recommendations. I have both Stihl and Husq and they both work fine for what I use them for. I have a 30 year old Husq. that will still cut as good as any new saw..... My new Husq has alot more plastic parts on it than the old one does... I doubt if it will last

30 years...

ps the online store where I bought my Husq quit carrying Husq saws....... They now carry Echo as their main brand....

Good luck! Steve

Reply to
Steve

The guy who uplifted the maple trees in my back yard used a small Stihl that was attached to his harness by a rope. I saw him using it one handed in very difficult angles while hanging sideways like a monkey from the tree limbs. He obviously knew what he was doing and had told me he was very happy with his saw.

Reply to
badgolferman

Shindaiwa - find your local dealer and try one. They have a specific arborist model for one hand operation.

Reply to
Pete C.

Echo CS-3000 (unless you can find a CS-2800)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

"SteveB" wrote

thanks for yelling at me. I only have one hand, thus the question.

feel better now?

Reply to
joe

Stihl makes two models for in-tree use, designed for one-handed use. However, be prepared to pay over $400 for them.

How about an electric saw or even a cordless "sawzall"?

Reply to
Bob M.

Hell for the small trees you can do what my lady did....

She used an electric carving knife

Lou

Reply to
LouB

No, Echo is cheaper and everyone knows thats all you ever look at ransley. Because you are a cheap bastard and I might ad that the thought of you with a chainsaw in your hands is downright scary. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

He wasn't yelling- he was telling you the truth. You could lose more than your remaining hand by using a chain saw one handed. Watching you start it should be a real treat.

They make excellent electric loppers that can be safely operated one handed- and can cut up to about 4".

Chances are your remaining hand is attached to a strong arm. You'd be surprised how much you can cut with an arm powered saw that is kept sharp and set.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

No they don't. Read the manual and you see that it is a "WARING" itme saying not ot use it one handed.

That almost every make has top handled saws does not mean that they are "designed for one handed use" - none of them are.

HarryK

Reply to
Harry K