Stacking pumpkins

I am working on a little Halloween project and I need to stack three small (8") pumpkins on top of each other. Each one will be hollowed out and carved into a jack-o-lantern.

I can't think of a good way to make the stack relatively stable so it won't tip over. I would appreciate any suggestions.

One idea that I had was to get a piece of wood, about 10-12" in diameter as the base. Then drill holes for 3-4 small dowels (1/8"-1/4" diameter). The dowels would be spaced as far apart as possible but still within the pumpkins themselves. I would then sharpen the tip of each dowel so that I could push each pumpkin down over the dowels.

Is this likely to work?

Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks

Reply to
Top Spin

Hope the pumpkins are the kind with flat tops :o) I would cut the stems as short as possible and use pumpkins as flat as possible, top and bottom. Fill a small black trash bag with sand and tie it shut. Leave it "smooshy" so you can use it for a base. Do the same for the top of the base pumpkin and the one above it. They are free so they can be lighted, if that is what you are doing, and should be pretty stable unless it gets windy or the pumpkin smashers find it. You could also use modeling clay, perhaps, to stick them together; cheap, sticky, maleable and disposable. Is this a centerpiece, outdoor or indoor dec?

Reply to
NorMinn

Don't use real pumpkins. There are lots of plastic ones out there.Then you don't have the nonuniformity, weight, etc. to worry about and attaching them to a base and each other gets to be whole lot easier.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I'm going to cut the top and/or bottom out of each pumpkin so that they fit into each other.

It will be for indoor use -- in a window.

Reply to
Top Spin

That is a good idea and I saw some in a craft store yesterday. It would also have the advantage of not rotting and could be used next year.

The only problem is that this is for my 6 y/o grandson and then he wouldn't get to carve the faces.

Reply to
Top Spin

Hey, I remember that band. They were pretty cool, until they sold out.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

This is Turtle.

3 Dowels for a even stability.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I would make something using small tomato cages. The Jack-O-Lanterns can rest in the metal hoops.

Reply to
Phisherman

ur kids a rertard ur kids a reta5rd Wait 10, 20 ,50 yrs. You will be the ASS that experimented, and HD now wont warranty your PUSS,,,,, Wake UP It lasts thousands of years done right ,, Bozo, YOU a BOZO , BOZO

Reply to
mark Ransley