Splitting 240V

I don't think Miss Manners would have used that choice of wording. But, the sentiment is there. And, I agree.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The NEC would make a de facto "small transformer" less than 1 KVA. Over that you have more onerous rules (ground electrodes etc)..

Reply to
gfretwell

IEC considers 1000VAC to be "low voltage", too. I don't.

Reply to
krw

Here is the acceptable way to get 115v if you do NOT need 230v

Remove the white wire from the circuit breaker and connect it to the panel neutral.

At your outlet, the white wire will be the 115v return and the black wire the 115v "hot" .

The sheath should of course be ground.

This will work fine but assumes there is no 230v device anywhere that was using the wiring.

Reply to
philo

Hopefully only to myself. I think and talk about many more things than I actually do. I try to avoid undo risk.

Reply to
Stumpy

Yeah. I think that would be simplest too.

Reply to
Stumpy

Be careful there, if you have any assets that are worth anything, the managers or those loony bins, old age homes, are looking for people like you!

They just love to take the family farm, accounts and maybe your deformed buddy down the road, if there is any money in it for them!

Who was that you were talking to?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

If you're skilled in panel boxes, that is. Call an electrician if you feel dangerous.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon