Speaking of broken spark plugs...

The RAV engine is a "non-interference" engine. Something just over half, I would guess, of current belt driven camshaft motors today are technically non-interference engines - but that still leaves a lot of destruction waiting to happen.

Reply to
clare

Or just buy a good running engine in a scrapped car that you can run and have the mechanic/installer test out before installing.

Reply to
clare

Not entirely true. There are quite a few high performance engines that are non-interference engines.

Reply to
clare

Well,certain models of the 283/207/237/305/350 SBC engines could ALL bend valves if the valve timing was off. Bent a lot of push-rods too!!!!

Reply to
clare

I suspect that most of those are turbo'd or supercharged. Aside from the physical impossibility of getting the chambers small enough to provide a high compression ratio, valve reliefs in the piston crowns are bad in and of themselves in terms of performance (hot spots, pockets, etc.)

Now if you're talking about older V-8 thumpers then yes I would agree with you, but those typically don't have timing belts, either.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's called a non-interference engine.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Yeah, realized I typed before engaging there...the symptoms can end up similar, just the mechanism of "how" is different. Fortunately, the old timing chains gave more warning than the belts do by being noisy when they stretched if one paid attention...

The dang CRX was told it had had a new timing belt before I bought it--turned out they lied... :(

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:hfmsjh$uag$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Ever had a pickup with a 350 and a Holly 4bbl? If you add up the digits of the engine ci, that's the mpg.

Reply to
Red Green

Remember back when the service manual recommended removing the head/heads to clean the carbon buildup every xx thousand miles? GEEZ! I seem to recall having to do a lot of fiddling with my

50's, 60's and 70's vehicles just to keep them running reasonably well. When I was younger, I loved tinkering with engines, now I just want to get in the darn thing and go.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

FWIW, I had an Isuzu 4 cyl Diesel break the timing belt, and it was a collision motor. Luckily, the valves are straight up and down, rather than at an angle, and all it did was snap 2 or 3 rocker arms, which were aluminum, or some other fairly soft metal. No other damage done Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Pretty much all Diesels are interference engines as they have compression ratios in the area of 18:1 to 24:1 or higher

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"AZ Nomad" wrote

I had a '69 with a 1650 made by a Porsche mechanic in Houston. It had a Holley Bugsprayer carb, headers, mechanical advance distributor, a cam, roller rocker arms, big oil cooler, and a clutch from the VW Transporter truck. It screamed, and I could get third gear scratch. It turned a lot of heads. It would do 90 down the freeway. Handling was squirrely, though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Delivering an ad hominem attack when you are unable to defend your position just reduces your credibility even more and only digs you into an even deeper hole..

Reply to
George

Yes, I obviously know that. I was simply pointing out that the problem of timing belts breaking causing engine destruction is not really a "foreign car" problem. The Rav4 is one of those cars where they recommend replacing the timing belt every 70k miles as a matter of routine maintenance. The dealers who make money on replacing those belts would like you to believe you will risk a destroyed engine if you don't. For many cars, it's bulls***. The "70k" is not really the normal recommended interval, either. Dealers still tell you that it is, so they make more work for themselves. The 70K figure is for cars used for heavy city traffic (taxi cab). If you drive a lot of highway miles, and aren't using your Toyota as a taxi in Istanbul, the interval can be as much as doubled.

Reply to
salty

When I stomped on the gas in my 69 Firebird, you could see the gas gauge needle moving. I used to tell people it could pass anything except a gas station.

Reply to
salty

I am perfectly capable of defending my position. Unfortunately, I can't defend it to someone too stupid to understand. Something about trying to teach a pig to sing...

Reply to
salty