SPace heaters

If I need a space heater, eg shed or garage, what are the safety precautions. Up here, everything is made of manufactured wood (ie, chucks of wood pressed into boards.

Reply to
vjp2.at

The owners manual will describe the safety precautions much better than a bunch of strangers on the internet who don't know the device nor your usage. John T.

Reply to
hubops

If you buy a 750/1500W space heater with a heating coil and a fan inside, make sure you buy one with "tip-over  protection". There is a button in the bottom so that if the heater is accidentally knocked over, the button will know that the heater is not sitting on solid ground, so that electricity to the heater will be disconnected internally by the button (the heater will only work when sitting properly upright). I suggest you use the 750W setting instead of the 1500W setting because that will prevent the electrical socket from overheating due to poor plug-to-socket contact.

This is an example of a space heater with tip-over protection from Walmart:

Comfort Zone 750/1,500-Watt Fan-Forced Electric Portable Space Heater with Adjustable Thermostat, Overheat Protection and Safety Tip-Over Switch

invalid unparseable

I'd be surprised (although not amazed) if this isn't mandated as part of safety specs in all the "Certified" units now...

(I'm going to use the term "Underwriters Labs" simply for familiarity, but also going to emphasize there are a dozen or so fully legit others these days.

danny burstein
[snip]

I have one heater where you have to press a button THREE times to turn it off (if goes through medium and low). It's easier to tip it a little to make it turn off now.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I wonder if you will prematurely wear out the electrical contact inside that tiny switch when you deliberately use that safety switch as on-off switch by tipping the heater. That push-button at the bottom makes a tiny click sound when released. The click-sound means the switch is a spring-loaded throw-switch, so the electrical contact is a definite on or off.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

If he only tips it a little, there is probably a relay that gets toggled off. The older ones that I have had turn right back on when you set them down again.

Reply to
Bob F