Small Engine Spark Plug Heat Range Error

Performing routine annual maintenance on my Echo hand-held leaf blower, I discovered that last spring, I mistakenly installed a spark plug one heat range hotter than specified. The blower was used plenty with this wrong plug in it- and the part of the plug inside the engine had a heavy very light gray deposit on it.

Wonder if that did any permanent engine damage or shortened its life…

Reply to
Wade Garrett

IDK. In a pinch I have used a higher heat range plug in a mower. Never saw any problems that I could discern.

Reply to
Oren

  You haven't hurt it . If you had , you'd know because it would likely have locked up . Do get the right plug , that light gray deposit , was it like glass ? Or more like oil deposits that had burned very hot ?
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Didn't look glassy at all, just something I've never seen before.

Usually the well-used plugs look tan- or black if it's running rich or I'd put too much oil in the gas.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It's a hotter plug, so the temp of the plug will be higher, so maybe that which would have been tan, burned up more and became gray. Like others have said, I would not worry about it. IMO to harm one of these things, you have to do something really stupid. Like run it on gas without oil.

Reply to
trader_4

As long as the grey isn't deposited aluminum from detonationdamage to the piston you are likely OK

Reply to
Clare Snyder