Slightly sloping ceilings

Anyone got a ceiling like this?

I found it when looking at air conditioning - this guy has a 10 degree sloping ceiling, so the AC looks squint. How do people with ceilings like that hang pictures etc? The site doesn't always work well - click shift refresh if the picture doesn't appear.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sat 18 Mar 2017 07:17:02p, James Wilkinson Sword told us...

With a spirit level?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Use round or oval picture frames?

Tommy Silvah

two of our "rooms" are flattish roof with slight slope to shed rain or melting snow. only one has anything hanging on the wall. we used hooks in the trim at the top of the wall and monofilament line. i wouldn't know if it was level or not, the picture is kinda behind the coat tree.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Why are you hanging pictures on the ceiling? I hang pictures on the wall, and the ceiling has nothing to do with it.

[snip]

Reply to
Sam E

Really ? Did you look at the link ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The "easy answer" is to shim and strap the ceiling to make it level with new dry-wall.

Far from the least work - but still the "easy answer"

Reply to
clare

I looked at the link but still did not understand the comment about hanging pictures. I hand them about eye level, not at the ceiling. What did we miss?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The sloping ceiling makes the picture look as though it's hung crooked .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I would have thought that should be done when the house is built. Just because the roof is sloping doesn't mean the ceiling has to be.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Because the picture is close enough to the ceiling so you can tell they are not parallel.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then the picture looks squint as your eye matches the top of it with the ceiling.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's a low ceiling? Gotta duck to keep from bumping your head at the low end??

Reply to
clare

Perhaps on two walls, but not the other two. OTOH, I tend to look t the picture, not the ceiling.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No peripheral vision?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sun 19 Mar 2017 04:40:41p, James Wilkinson Sword told us...

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but as a designer, I have worked with picture groupings on walls where there was a slant to the ceiling. The grouping usually draws the viewer's sight, not the ceiling line. In any event, if you can't actually change the ceiling, then it's best to create a visual diversion.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Maybe lots of pictures, but that AC unit looked ridiculous.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip]

The best solution to that problem would be to not worry about it. If you can't, how about putting the pictures lower so you don't often notice both a picture and the ceiling? You gut used to the picture not looking perfect, and any guest who complains is being rude.

It would be possible to paint the top few inches of the wall a different color, making the line (between colors) parallel to the floor. Hang all pictures below that.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Mon 20 Mar 2017 08:45:35a, James Wilkinson Sword told us...

Agreed!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Mar 2017 03:15:14p, Mark Lloyd told us...

Painting a top section of the wall is a good idea, and one might also consider painting the air conditioning unit to match.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright