Sklyight replacement help

We have an old plexiglass skylight on our (flat) rubber membrane roof. I would like to replace it with a better quality vented glass unit. I really only need the vented part so that a couple of times a year, I can open the skylight and access the roof.

I have googled a fair bit but still have several questions:

  1. What brands offer the best quality and selection in glass skylights?

  1. Who is best to install it? (dealer/manufacturer? carpenter? roofer?) (remember it is not a new installation just a replacement)

  2. Is double paned, low-E glass the right option if I want to minimize heat loss in winter and heat gain in the summer? (we are in New England)

  1. What do I need to be watchful of regarding an installation into an existing rubber membrane roof?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Glass in the ceiling and New England winter. I think that glass even triple glazed is not all that good of an insulator. I purchased some double paned

1x4 windows for an application in Phoenix. Wall faces west. I got the middle E value. There was one higher. I was worried that these two windows were not going to let in enough light. I should have gone with the highest E and forgot about the light transmission.

Find some one to install it that will guarantee the roof in writing.

Reply to
SQLit

One other addition... I called over to Velux given that they seem to be highly recommended. However, I found two challenges with my situation.

  1. They make only one model that is truly flat mounted (FCM=flat curb mount) -- all other models require building up to at least a 15-20 degree angle.
  2. They make only one model that opens enough to exit on to the roof (GPL), but that model comes in only 2 sizes -- neither of which fits my rough opening.

So, my additional questions are:

- Would you recommend building up the curb to >15deg angle even on a flat rubber membrane roof? If so, what pitch would you use in Southern New England? And if I do so, will it look "funny" coming off a flat roof?

- What other *quality* manufacturers have more options (or at least custom options) for a skylight that can be hinged open for roof egress?

Reply to
blueman