Sink Sponge Tray problem

We installed a tray kit in the panel in front of the sink to hold sponges. However, the plastic trays hit the backside of the sink so the panel does not fully close. We have tried to find a kit w/ thinner trays but have been unable to.

Any suggestions on how to make the tray kit work? We need about 1/2 inch less for the panel to close.

TIA

Reply to
Yamuk

Make your own out of plexiglass or lexan.

You can buy thin sheets at homecenters. You can score and snap it like glass, bend it by heating it with a hairdryer or heat gun, drill it with normal bits or buy bits made specifically for this type of work, and buy adhesives made specifically for the material chosen.

You have sample of the shape, you just need to make one that is a little narrower.

Google things like "'working with plexiglass", "bending lexan", "cutting arylic", and combinations thereof. There's lots of on-line tips available.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Seems like a lot of work for little benefit. The thing will be hidden and is a lowly holder. I'd take the easy way out and cut an appropriate plastic bottle in half or use a small Tupperware type of thing and just screw it to the back of the door. It just needs to catch the sponge and only needs to hold a little bit of water - if you squeeze out the sponge before you put it away.

RicodJour

I have Rev-A-Shelf brand. The Slim Series is 1-11/16" Deep. Not sure what you currently have.

HTH

Reply to
Oren

Is it just me, or does storing damp things in warm dark places with poor air circulation, inches from expensive exposed wood (not to mention the usually unfinished particle board counter substrate), seem like not such a good idea? Sounds like a mold incubator to me. Main bathroom here had a couple of those things fitted to the vanity, and things were definitely growing in there when I moved in. I cleaned them out, and have been ignoring them since then.

IMHO, sponges belong sitting on the back edge of the sink where they can drain down and evaporate. A dead space drawer like that should only be used for dry things.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Good points. Think SWMBO for a moment:) They bring them home and then one finds out they have to install them.

The contents box has a small insert ad for _Ring Holder_ and they buy it... Sanitation is important and should be observed; both above and below the sink. I prefer a terry dish cloth over a sponge. I can toss them in the washer for cleaning. Sponges on the sink are nasty, also.

Reply to
Oren

re: Seems like a lot of work for little benefit

Or a lot of fun on a Saturday afternoon.

Should everything that is hidden from sight be tossed together with the cheapest materials possible?

Reply to
DerbyDad03