Simpler solar attics

The ultimate performance solutions are: 1) Isolate the solar gain space,

> to let it go cold at night. If you eliminate all of the times that the sun > does not heat the room, you eliminate 100% of the backup heating, so you > don't need high Rvalue windows...

Maybe no windows at all, just plastic film glazing.

2) Nighttime window insulation. Basically the same strategy, but you are > closing the insulated door on the glass, instead of the whole room. > There can be problems.. some of them human.

Historically, most people tire of moving insulation twice a day. Twice a year seems OK. Or automatically filling a glazing cavity with soap bubble foam at night. My favorite "movable insulation" is a big fan with 2 thermostats in an insulated wall between a sunspace and a living space.

3) Reduce the glazing area considerably, and get your Solar gain, via > simple, low cost wall type air panels, or a single glazed sunspace, > over the south wall.

We might rethink how we use spaces. People seldom look out windows at night. They cover black holes with curtains. A living space might only have 1-2% of the floorspace as windows for small views. Picture a core living space behind enclosed porches, or "viewspaces" with lots of glazing for large views. During the day, move into a viewspace and steal some heat or AC from the living space with an occupancy sensor and a thermostat and a fan.

A 32x32x8' tall living space with 16'-deep SE and SW viewspaces and a 48'x48' footprint might have 24ft^2 of R4 windows with 6 Btu/h-F. An R40 ceiling and R30 walls would add 32x32/40 = 26 and 33, with 30 more for

30 cfm of air leaks, if it's tight, for a total conductance of 95 Btu/h-F.

With 4 American Craftsman 6068-2 6'x80" U0.48 sliding glass doors ($269 each at Home Depot) or 320 ft^2 of R4 windows, a 16'x48' SE viewspace would have a 123 Btu/h-F conductance. Two more doors would give a 16'x32' SW space 61 Btu/h-F. The glazing might have overhangs to reduce summer sun and dark mesh curtains to reduce light levels for people, eg 80% greenhouse shadecloth, which preserves views, like a dark window screen.

If the average living space temp is 65 F and we spend 4 hours per day in each 70 F viewspace (Henry Mercer built bonfires on the roof and moved from desk to desk as the sun moved in his 6-story concrete castle in Doylestown PA) on an average 30 F January day in Phila, the house needs 24h(65-30)95

  • 4h(70-34)123 + 4h(70-34)61 = 79.8K + 17.7K + 8.8K = 106K Btu/day of heat. With 34.1K from 300 kWh/mo of frugal indoor electrical use, we need 72K more solar heat, which might come from a solar attic.

The solar attics of Soldiers Grove (see

be improved. They blow warm air down into a building during the day, with a motorized damper to let the attic stay cool at night. Some have rock bed or hypocaust stores, but few store heat for more than 1 day.

A new attic might have a $1/ft^2 corrugated R1 Dynaglas polycarbonate

20-year south roof with a 60 degree slope and 90% solar transmission. NREL says 620 Btu/ft^2 falls on the ground and 1000 falls on a south wall on an average January day in Phila, so 1 ft^2 of roof would collect 0.9(1000sin(60)+620cos(60)) = 1058 Btu/day.

Nathan Hurst's "Low-cost active heat storage" story in the July-September

2007 Issue 100 of ReNew (http:
shows how to collect solar heat with a Mazda car radiator and its 16 watt electric fan. (I have a $35 1984 Dodge Omni radiator below my living room floor) With an 800 Btu/h-F air-water thermal conductance like MagicAire's 2'x2' SHW2347 duct heat exchanger, we could store 0.75x72K/6h = 9K Btu in 140 F water in 6 hours on an average day with a 140+9K/800 = 151 F attic air temp. A radiator in a box below an attic floor can both store and distribute heat, like this, viewed in a fixed font: upper g attic l | | a | | z ~ ~ i south -->

| | n | vertical | motorized / g | duct | damper / | | / | | day / | | / | | / | | / night attic floor

---| -------------............---------------------------------- | . r . | . d room a d. | . a air d f a. f | . m out i m. | ==> . p a a ==> p. a

Reply to
nicksanspam

Name anybody you know that moves insulation twice a day or twice a year for that matter, Soap bubbles, I think you have had to many bubbles nick, we need more math to confirm this idea of yours.

Reply to
ransley

Wow, thank you for the posting. Really enjoyed it.

Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC | |

| |

Torrey Hills

That would be anybody who closes curtains at night.

Reply to
Steve O'Hara-Smith

Historically, most people never move insulation, unless they're some kind of nut.

The only math anyone needs to know is, if someone wrote what you wrote just one time, they shouldn't be allowed out in public without the proper supervision.

Reply to
HP. Blunt

Maybe he's not allowed out in public. Reminds me of the episode of the Simpson's where Homer winds up in the psychiatric hospital. In the day room, while he's making a phone call, you could see all the speed dial buttons on the phone: Opra, Geraldo, Jerry Springer, etc. Welcome to Nick's world. LOL

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
Solar Flare

They are letting me out on 9/22/2007 to lecture again at the Pennsylvania Renewable Energy Festival :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Reply to
Solar Flare

I applied to give a seminar entitled: "Whale Oil - The Renewable Resource" and the nay-sayers at the festival turned me down.

They do have a lecture on the Wind Depletion Allowance so tree-huggers can save on their taxes.

Reply to
HeyBub

Perhaps you should give a lecture on Vivoleum.

"We need something like whales, but infinitely more abundant,"

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak