Shower Repair, Caulk Puddy or Air

Reinstalling the tub/shower fixtures after a re-grout job. Of course, the tile is chipped out around the faucet and shower arm stems. Should I fill this empty space with caulk or perhaps plumbers buddy? I ask because as far as I can tell, the previous plumber only caulked around the rim of the plates which cover these holes but did not carefully fill all the space surrounding the stems.

What's the best technique?

TIA -- LA

Reply to
Local Account

As long as the face plates completely cover the cutout, all you need to do is caulk around the perimeter. Packing the opening with putty around the stem is something I have never seen or done. Seems like a waste. I would use 100% silicone or Siliconized latex caulk (anything labeled for bathroom really, read the label)

Now if you had the tile broken enough so that the plate does not cover the hole, I would build it back up with fast setting thinset or just pack in some grout and trowel flat so the plate covers the opening.

Reply to
PipeDown

"PipeDown" wrote in news:08krg.4319$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Usually I caulk with silicone about 2/3 of the plate and leave it uncaulked from about 4 to 8 o'clock. In the bottom of the plate at 6 o'clock I cut an open notch. If water is leaking from the stem, I want it to come out there, not go back in the wall.

Reply to
Al Bundy