Should we tile under the water heater? If not, will a drip pan be ok sitting on subfloor?

Our laundry room is currently carpeted. We're having the carpet removed and plan to tile (or vinyl) the entire room. Does the water heater need to be removed/replaced so the flooring can go below it? Or should we leave a square or circle around the water heater without replacing flooring?

Reply to
Lboscarino

I'd drain and remove the water heater but I'm sure there are plenty of hacks here that wouldn't.

Reply to
Tommy Silvah

How old is the water heater? electric or gas? If it's gas and 15+ years old, I'd probably replace it. Fifteen years is about the typical lifespan, maybe less. If that isn't a factor, then do you care how it looks? If you can do it yourself, it's not much work to take it out and put it back and I'd do that. Another alternative would be to leave the one area without tile, but save tile and grout so that it can be done later when the WH is replaced. But again, unless it's DIY, calling someone back to do the tile might be as much as getting a handyman type to remove and replace the WH right now.

Reply to
trader_4