Sewer Connections

My house currently has a septic system. It is very old and is failing. I got an estimate to replace the system-- $5300.00. That price includes a new tank, 4-75' drain field lines, a new line to the house and hook up the house. Seemed reasonable to me. To compare and thinking I could save some money I got an estimate on connecting our house to the county sewer system. The sewer line, placed in 2001, is about 80' from our house and is under a

7' wide tar and chip road. We have sufficient elevation to get to the line via gravity-- there are no sidewalks or driveways to go under. It is 80' of straight pipe with a 90 at the end and then 8' to the sewer line. I go two bids, both are about $10,000.00, not including the county fee of $900.00 and do not include connecting the house. 10k to place 80' pipe to just outside my house and connect it to the county line? What am I missing here? I have called both contractors to ask about the bids, neither has called me back. I cannot understand why it should cost more than 3-4k. Especially considering the septic system cost 5k and is allot more work involved. Can anybody give me some insight on this?

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo

Probably means the 2 contractors are on the county's "approved" list.

Call the county and tell them you are going to install it yourself and see what the reaction is

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Seems like a Steal for the Septic install.

Just for the 2 Tanks, Pipe, Distribution boxes and leach lines (just material, I'm looking at over $3k) I'm installing an Add-on to my Existing system for a Granny unit we are adding. I'm doing most of the work my self. Having someone with a Backhoe come in and dig the trenches and hole for the tank.

Though If I could Connect to the County Sewer for twice the Price I'd do it in a heartbeat. You get a higher home value as you are not limited to the number of bedrooms, or Addition Size.

With a Septic (here in Sonoma County California) you are only allowed so many bedrooms per 'X' amount of leach field line. You can only Expand the house 30% of existing SqFt every 2 years if you have no Expansion room, 50% if you have 100% Expansion, or no restriction if you have 200% or more.

From my understanding all that goes away if you are hooked up to Sewer. If you have a realtor friend, ask them how much being connected increases the property value.

Also if you are on a well, you need to figure out how much they will charge you per month to be connected. usually in town it is related to your water usage.

Scott My house currently has a septic system. It is very old and is failing. I

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Get a quote from a excavator for the digging. Sewer adds lots of resale value and wouldnt need any more septic repairs.

Around here they REQUIRE sewer connection, that may happen in your area and after you spend the bucks on a setic that would be sad....

Reply to
hallerb

He should be able to get a feel for whether he has to hook up any time soon from the county. It would certainly be worthwhile to ensure the line to the septic is able to be used for sewer. BTW nobody has mentioned the downside of sewer. It is a big bill each month or quater and they usually charge by water usage so you are paying sewer for the water you squirt on the lawn, fill your pool with or use to wash your car.

Reply to
gfretwell

Many places the sewer bill is based on your water usage in the winter. Here in Tulsa it is based on your average water useabe in Dec., Jan., and Feb.

Of course I knew a man in Cape Canaveral, FL who had to quit using his well for irrigation because of salt water intrusion. He was moaning, because the city didn't allow anything for irrigation on his sewer bill.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Maybe, maybe not. The sewer department charges by taking hte total operating cost and dividing it by the water usage. If everyone on the system uses 5% of their water for watering the lawn, everyone pays the same fair price. Since that is not going to happen, the guy that uses only 1% pays more, the guy using 10% gets a bargain.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

He can probably get an allowance, but will cost him money. We have a similar situation at work where much of our water is converted to steam and lost to atmosphere. The town said we could put in a sewer meter (at our expense) and pay accordingly. He may be able to get a separate line and meter, but all at his cost.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do what I did - keep the private well for outside water, hook up to the city water/sewer for inside. The city was fine with it.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Lots of places are not "fine with that" In Florioda they usually "cap" your well (pour solid with concrete) as part of the city water/sewer install.

Reply to
gfretwell

thats sad in a emergency that well might save lives....

dumb rule!

Reply to
hallerb