Separate ground wire to panel to ground outlets?

Also visible is the word "ground" stamped on the cable. So, clearly the ground wire in the cable was code compliant at the time it was installed. And I agree with you, it's fine to use now.

Reply to
trader_4

Oh, gotcha. But it does have a separate ground conductor, probably 16AWG? I'd use it. If it were readily accessable beginning to end I might replac e it but otherwise it's fine. Be aware however that it probably doesn't ha ve the same temperature rating as modern NM-B cable so if feeding e.g. a li ght fixture tight to the ceiling with an enclosed incandescent that will ma ke the insulation very brittle... when working in those boxes be prepared with black and white electrical tape or heat shrink to patch it up.

nate

Reply to
N8N

? I'd use it. If it were readily accessable beginning to end I might repl ace it but otherwise it's fine. Be aware however that it probably doesn't have the same temperature rating as modern NM-B cable so if feeding e.g. a light fixture tight to the ceiling with an enclosed incandescent that will make the insulation very brittle... when working in those boxes be prepare d with black and white electrical tape or heat shrink to patch it up.

Forgot to add. I'm not sure when the ground conductor started to be the sa me gauge as the current carrying conductors, however, i've seen real plasti c jacketed NM with 16AWG grounds, my last house was full of it (obviously a retro; the house was built in the late 40's with a mix of BX and ungrounde d cloth sheathed NM)

nate

Reply to
N8N