Sealing wood cracks? ? ?

I'm replacing some exterior flooring on a porch and want to seal the joints and cracks with a silicone caulk.

Problem: Some of the joints are quite large. I need to put some sort of filler in the large spaces before I use the silicone.

I suppose I could stuff some styrofoam in the cracks.

Does this make sense?

Any better ideas?

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

They make backer material for that purpose. You also might want to consider polysulfide (Thiokol) rather than silicone. It is used on boats and is a lot easier to sand/cut flush than silicone. Paintable too.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Thanks dadi --

Will look into polysulfide. Guess it's available at paint stores.

Would the styrofoam be okay for filling large cracks before caulking? I think styrofoam is nondebiogradable.

I think I made a mistake in earlier caulking by using Durham's Water Putty. I gather it holds moisture, hence causes rot.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

Rather depends on the paint store. I rather doubt it though.

Beats me. Probably but I don't know. ________________________

Yes. Doubt if you could have found anything worse.

Reply to
dadiOH