Ryobi question

On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in part with the following comment. "If you want low end, check out brands like Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use). I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

I have a Ryobi table saw, a Ryobi scroll saw and several palm sanders. All work well and have lasted 12 years, so far. I recommend Ryobi for home owner use, not heavy construction use. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I bought a Ryobi riding mower several yiears ago. Abused it terribly by mulching mown hay, etc. Surprisingly, it only lasted 3 years.

Don't know who builds them but that mower was MTD under the hood. The same mower, identical except for paint, was also badged as a Yard Man.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've had several Ryobi tools: a 9.6V cordless drill that's still going strong after 9 years (my son has it now), a 9" bandsaw that cut out many solid guitar bodies, an oscillating drum sander, and one each of the 10" and 12" drill presses. All have served me well.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

To give a little more information, the correct answer is "it depends".

Ryobi is far from the best tool around, but they are OK for the guy that is going to use a tool once every six months for a simple job. It is not what I'd recommend for a pro or serious hobbyist that wants perfection and accuracy.

If you are planning on scroll sawing Christmas decorations for a Cub Scout project, by all means, get the Ryobi. If you plan to make artistic renderings and intarsia work, get a DeWalt at a minimum and there will be a difference. If this is a serious hobby, go for the better tool.

Read the Delta review here for a timely comment

Edwin Pawlowski

FWIW, I bought one of the combos Home Depot had on a super sale the day after Thanksgiving -- so I've used it for a couple of months. It works, but it's nothing special. The circular saw is pretty weak, the drill is ok -- on a par with what Harbor Freight sells for about half as much, but the radio is quite good.

YMMV. JMHO.

Reply to
CJT

I bought the same Black Friday package, it seems. To me the saw and the drill seem fine, the light is so-so, and the radio is junk.

I also bought the compound miter saw just b4 Christmas. To me it seems OK, but I have nothing with which to compare it.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I have purchased plenty of Ryobi power tools. Typically I buy Ryobi if it is something that I will be using occassionally and I want something that is decent quality but I don't want to spend the amount of money that professional grade requires. They are definately a big step over harbor freight and Black and Decker but they are not on par with Milwaukee, Makita, etc. If I were in the market for a new scroll saw, I would consider Ryobi.

Reply to
Eric9822

Thanks for all your input. I still haven't decided, but there was a very good site posted in one response, so I'll dig deeper. Thanks again. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

How so? I don't see much difference.

and Black and Decker but they are not on par

Reply to
CJT

FWIW, I have a Ryobi cordless hammer-drill and I only used the hammer feature once. I now have a drill that doesn't work. The chuck was so cheap (soft) that one use of the hammer feature destroyed the teeth on the mount and the chuck is loose, but no getting it off short of torching it is out of the question. I now have a DeWalt kit and the clutch is trash. On setting #1 it will drive a deck screw through a 2x4 if you have a long enough bit! Very tempted to go out an buy a Milwaukee.

OTOH, I have use other corded power tools (not owned) and they seem to hold up fine in average home owner use.

Reply to
Mike Dobony