RTV RED Sealant for Oven

Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top gasket around the oven door.

I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to resecure. Since I've only used this on auto engines, thought I would ask for any second opinions here.

Reply to
tim birr

Hey, all. OP again. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the stuff. One of the recommended uses on the TDS is oven doors, so I guess I am good to go. Sorry. My Adobe Reader 9.XXX was screwing up as usual, so I couldn't open the TDS earlier today. I finally uninstalled that piece of bloatware and installed Adobe Reader 7.1.4, which is working great...

Reply to
tim birr

Seems like a good idea, but I would use it sparingly to be sure it will be ok.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I've used it to seal the pilot assembly in an RV furnace and it lasted 6 years until I sold it - and was still in good shape.

Reply to
clare

Earlier versions of Adobe Reader have been severly compromised and are vulnerable to malware attacks. If you do not want to use the current version, I would strongly recommend that you replace it with Foxit Reader (free version). It is much smaller the Adobe.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

I used it for the piece that connects the heat exchanger to the flue, to plug holes made when welding a box around the rusted out piece**, and it's been working fine since fall. Of course I don't eat off of it.

**Rusted out because the humidifier overflowed on to it some of the time.
Reply to
mm

Its a home repair group but the older adobe readers have many security vulnerabilities. Best to use a recent version of something else.

Reply to
George

OK, I am trying Foxit in place of Adobe Reader. Thanks for the warnings, everyone. I was reluctant, since I use Cute PDF writer and ghostscript, but apparently these work with Foxit, also. Time will tell.

Reply to
tim birr