Roofing quesitions

My roof has received hail damage and needs to be replaced. I currently have a single-layer shingle roof but I want to replace it with architectural shingles (forgive me if this name is wrong but that what is used around here). One roofer told me that you don't have to remove the old roof that you could just add the new one on top. Does this sound right? The insurance company is paying to have the old roof completely removed.

Thanks for any opinions.

Reply to
Jack

If they are paying, remove it. It will make for a better roof in the long run.

Reply to
ChairMan

Do it right and remove the old shingles. This will also give you the chance to check and to repair any roof damage. Two layers of shingles is a lot of excess weight too.

Reply to
Phisherman

You may not need to according to code, but the job is better if you do. Especially when the insurance is paying for it. :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

With the insurance com-pany paying strip the old roof off. Not only will a good grade of shingle last longer with old roof removal but most codes will not allow more than 2 layers of fiberlsass/asphalt shingles and if you are there for the second layer it will me cheaper to install. Louis

Reply to
stan100

you had hail damage...and probably alot of other people..in my area about two years ago we had it bad... the whole metro area had it... the subconctractors came to town.. some even bought up businesses that already had their ads i the yellow pages.. the TV new did a report on one of them that they took on all these jobs and never did the work and the work that was done was terrible.... if you can wait then wait.. i had a crew who was subbing for a bigger company that did a terrible job on my house.. i would get home from work at 1 am and go up there and fine one fault after another.. stayed up until 6 am when they would show up and then argue with them.... finally gave up and called up the company and told the owner that i was gonna take him to civil court... he came out and observed the mistakes and had one of his employee(no subs) come out and finish the job, took them about 2 hrs. to changed to what looked like a roof from tobacco road to look nice.... but i had a stroke during the ordeal of dealing with all this and wish i would have waited for a company that is local and does not hire subs.... about 6 months after the hail problem the thieves left and went on to other hail damage places... they came in trailers and left in trailers............ i will never mess with these type again...

Reply to
jim