A local business just built an addition on the rear of their building.
I pick up supplies there on a weekly basis. I was there the other
day, and I noticed they built the addition right up to the service
entrance, and the large roof area will run right on top of the meter
box. In fact they had to cut the roof back a few inches over that
meter box, and although the rest of the roof has rain gutters, there
is none at that place. While this is a box made to be used outdoors,
this looks like an accident waiting to happen. Those boxes are made
for a normal amount of rain running on them, but not a flood of water
coming down what is probably 30 feet of roof. This is really none of
my business, but seeing it makes me nervous. I almost want to point
it out to them. At least they could put a piece of rain gutter there,
even though it would only be about 16 inches long, at least the water
would not pour right on the meter.
What do you think about this?
(I might take a photo the next time I am over there.)
Don't know about rain but I wouldn't want to leave it like that. A few
years ago, a local theater did somewhat of the same thing. Snow meltoff ran
down the side of the building and froze - all on the electrical box. Had a
pretty good fire.
Yamaha '00 VStar 650 (old reliable)
'04 TW200 (mud = fun)
Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 (new friend)
"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't
matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss
By all means point it out to them, preferably in writing. At worst,
nothing will happen. At best, you might save somebody's life.
I once worked at a company that had very old (from the 1940) wiring
outside at the pole transformer. The wires were so close together
you could see and hear brief arcs when the wind blew the wires
I reported this to the head maintenance guy at the factory. At first,
he was sceptical and didn't want to make waves until I had him come
out and see the problem first hand.
The electric utility came out and spent a few days fixing everything
up and thanked us for pointing out a dangerous situation. It turned
out that the secondary wires from the transformer that came down the
pole had no protective grounds and could have caused a major problem
for pedestrians if there was a fault. This wasn't the original
problem, but somehow it had avoided the utilities inspection routine
until they were made aware of the first problem.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.