roof question

OK, we're renovating the top floor in a duplex that's pretty old, maybe 50 or 60 years. It has a flat roof.

Since the hosue was not insulated at all (between the old lathe and plaster ceiling and the roof wood bards, between the joists, there's nothing) we ripped up the plaster on the ceiling and exterior walls. in a few places, there are drains coming from the roof and connecting to the existing drain of the sink or toilet.

in one drain, at least, some insulation (looks like cellulose) fell from around the pipe and on top, I can see the sky. the insulation that fell was in the lower part of the roof (where the pipe comes in the appartment) and the "hole" I see is at the top of the roof, where we have the tar paper and gravel.

Is this normal? the wood planks look OK, if water would be leaking through there we would have seen it, or seen damage from it. also, people have inspected the roof and they said it could last a few more years before we need to replace it.

Reply to
j j

Is it normal to see the sky through your roof? Now what do you really think .

Reply to
mark Ransley

there's a hole in the roof for the drain to go through. around the drain I see light.

Now, I'm not a contractor, I don't build homes, so I have no idea if that's the way it's supposed to be. Again, people have been on the roof, didn't see anything horribly wrong there, and I don't see evidence of any damage from below. Considering we get very heavy snow almost half the year here, I'd think that if water was pouring though there, I would see some damage.

so if you can answer the question, I'd appreciate it, if you want to be a smart ass, keep it to yourself.

Reply to
j j

No you should not see light , I wasnt being smart ass.

Reply to
mark Ransley

If you see sky through your roof, it's not a roof.

Reply to
Brad