Roof/chimney leak

We've had some unusually wet weather (even for us) here in the Pacific NW lately, and my roof has started to leak at the chimney.

The roof is standing-seam metal, installed ~4 years ago. The chimney has roof all around it (it's in the middle of the roof, not on the edge of the house). The chimney is primarily cinderblock construction around a liner, but the cinderblock changes to natural stone right at the roof. The stones are mortared together, with flashing inserted into the mortar. The top of the chimney is capped with mortar.

When I look inside the attic, I don't see any drips, but the entire surface of the cinderblock structure (all four sides) is wet. It almost seems as though the water is coming through the blocks, not dripping down from where the blocks meet the roof.

Is it possible that water is somehow coming in the open chimney, and seeping through the liner and cinder blocks? (The liner, at least the portion I can see above the stone, is also a cinderblock-type material). Or is the chimney likely leaking at the flashing, and just spreading out all over the surface of the cinderblock? Or is there some other source I've not considered?

Thanks for any help,

Kelly

Reply to
kellyjones1

yes, yes, yes. maybe let everything dry out and come back and play with a helper, bright worklights, and a garden hose. i have from a dark attic look up on a windy sunny day sometimes the chimney and the building will reveal they have shifted apart with a visible gap. in the attic feel for for an incoming draft around the chimney when you run an exhaust fan or two blowing air out of the attic windows and/or doors with all other openings closed. on the rooftop look for any low spots that puddle or pitch due to settling and send the water toward the chimney instead of away from it.

Reply to
buffalobill

Anything's possible, but usually any water going inside the chimney liner will take the path of least resistance and end up at the base of the chimney. You can always put a chimney cap on to eliminate that possibility, but my guess is the flashing.

Reply to
Bob

Cinderblock and natural stone are incredibly porous. There is a waterproofing product made specifically for chimneys called Chimney Saver (ChimneySaver.com). It allows the chimney to breathe but repels water. It is the stuff that we Certified Chimney Sweeps use! Alisa

Reply to
CDET 14

UMM, the Pacific Northwest isn't very definitive, but most of the PN has been wet for a while and if PN means Seattle to the OP, the rain has been falling for a record long time. Waiting for it to dry out, is probably not an option if things are getting wet.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon