Retrofitting a drainage system behind a stone retaining wall....

We have a 4 foot tall retaining wall constructed of stone. When it was put in, probably 50-75 years ago, the builder did not put in a drainage system. Later on down the line, someone tried to resurface it with a concrete-like product (looks like a half-hearted job though -- much is no longer there).

I'd like to get a drainage system in behind this wall but I don't want to dig down behind it if I can avoid it. I can't say as I can think of any other way to do it, but before I subject myself to THAT fun I thought I'd see if anyone else has any brilliant ideas.

Thanks......

James

Reply to
JNJ

If you have clearance you may be able to bang a 6" pvc pipe thru the ground in back of the wall. This is how they put pipes under the road if they don't have a big budget for equipment. Then pull out the pipe and replace it with a perforated 4" PVC in a sock (keeps dirt out). Whether you can do this depends on your soil and clearance but it might be worth a try.

concrete-like

thought I'd

Reply to
Art Begun

To give more detail, the first pipe has no plug in the end so you pull out the soil with it and hope the ground doesn't collapse. The second pipe has a plugged end of course.

drainage

Reply to
Art Begun

There are people who job it is is to bore holes in soil.... check the yellow pages.

drainage

Reply to
Art Begun