replacing main shutoff valve on incoming house water line

Ah, the effects of anonymous usenet posting revealed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Plumbers frequently use bread stuffed in the pipe to sop up moisture long enough to do the soldering, then the bread will dissolve and there is no need to try to pull or get anything out of the pipe.

Reply to
hrhofmann

One of the best torches I have found short of using oxygen is one designed for making glass beads. I bought mine at the Hobby Lobby. it really cooks on MAPP.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

If you get the wrong one no big deal. You can turn it into a repair coupling just by hammering the dimple out. You can even drill the dimple out. If you do that push the end of the pipe past the dimple and fill with solder.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

How do you get the hammer into the coupling?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The Bernzo "turbo torch" is the cat's meow - and particularly when running MAPP Gas

Reply to
clare

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

That is something he can test before he starts, no point in making it any more complicated than it has to be. If he cant get the water all the way off I would do the same as I said before except connect to the street side with a sharkbite and stilll do the house side with the repair coupling. In the worst case the sharkbite could be connected with water coming out of the pipe full force, admittedly this may not be practical.Once connected the new valve could be turned off to allow soldering. Only if it wasn't practical at all to turn the water off would I leave the old valve in. How much water the OP could tolerate coming out of the pipe until the new valve is in place would have to be determined by him.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Yes, I have one of them also, I think. The kind without the hose. I forgot how to adjust it. I think you always open the fuel valve all the way, then adjust the valve on top for the proper flame? Does that sound right? With propane it's enough for most plumbing jobs, with the MAPP gas I've done brazing quite a few times.

Mine is very similar but much older. The top valve is brass like the rest of it. I think I bought it around 1990?

Reply to
Tony

That idea of leaving the old valve there, if it's not leaking, may be good? I believe our municipality now charges $50 to turn off the water outside and then comes back later to turn it on again? We have used and had no trouble with those compression fittings. Our cold water supply is 3/4 copper rising vertically from basement floor. And we have used quarter turn ball valves to replace our main shut off. We have two such valves in series, with a coupling between. It just happened that way .......... but inadvertently it is most convenient. The lower valve shuts off the water, totally. The upper shuts off the back-flow from the house. The coupling is opened and a drain pipe (or bucket etc.) is arranged, the upper valve is opened and water in most lines in the house drains back down. In the meantime we have shut off the hot water inlet and outlet valves to avoid hot water siphoning back into the plumbing.

Reply to
terry

Or it may mean double work later on when it starts leaking. Its a chance you have to decide whether or not it is a risk worth taking. If you are willing to take that risk why mess with the thing to start with.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Existential Agent's over the top criticsm of your post shouldn't end up covering up how obnoxious that post was. All the poster before you did was refer to bread, actual white bread, and your reply was racist and hateful. Coming from someone who constantly mentions that he is a Mormon, I would think you *would* be worried about embarrassing and shaming Mormons in general and the Mormon Church. Especially since there was a long-time official anti-Black policy in the Mormon church which they claim to have gotten rid of.

Reply to
HomeRpairGuy

Mine only has one valve, and generally when doing plumbing I run it opened just far enough to be LOUD.

Reply to
clare

A silly reply. I don't know for sure than anyone's failings, including your tendency to write stupid, vulgar stuff, isn't the result of inbreeding. I only read a couple lines before I decided it was worthless.

But that too doesn't lessen the problems I list above with the Stormin Mormon's post.

Reply to
HomeRpairGuy

Mama used to say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Reply to
Steve B

You must be one self-impressed bore at the dinner table.... goodgawd....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Or it may mean double work later on when it starts leaking. Its a chance you have to decide whether or not it is a risk worth taking. If you are willing to take that risk why mess with the thing to start with. ===========================================

Wouldn't it just require repacking the stem nut? No biggie.

Reply to
Existential Angst

plumbing for 35 years,

about seen it all. If