Replacing aluminum frame windows, how easy is it?

The existing house is wood stud construction and the outside is stucco. The windows are flush to walls and the outside stucco. I don't see how the existing windows are attached to the house, there are no visible screws or nails, just the aluminum frame is exposed. What's the best way, good construction wise, to replace those windows? Do I need to tear the stucco out and do it like new construction or have the new window fit into the existing frame without stucco damage? I imagine I need to remove the stucco way back to flash the new windows properly, if I do a new construction.

Reply to
Fred

You have options. Cutting out the existing frames in one, but getting the new stucco to match the old is often difficult. I've seen quite a few homes with stucco that just doesn't look "right" at the windows. I suppose you could also cut stucco very carefully and inset wood or composite trim instead of a re stucco. Don't know how water tight that would be.

Another option is the replacement window. Many are vinyl, at least one is aluminum (Perma Built) and a composite window by Andersen. They all fit inside the existing frame. Shop, shop, shop and get references, check the web, etc....

You absolutely will get what you pay for!

Good luck.

Reply to
aquanomics