Replacement window channel width question

I'm puzzled by something that doesn't add up to me. I believe my double hung windows to be relatively standard. The two sashes are 1 3/8" thick with a 1/2" parting stop which adds up to 3 1/4 inches total. This means the distance from the blind stop to the back edge of the window stool is also 3 1/4". Replacement pocket windows seem to be 3 1/4" wide and will fit in this gap nicely. However all of the replacement window channel kits I've seen, and even the replacment sash kits are 3 1/2" wide. They won't fit unless the blind stop is removed or the stool is narrowed, neither of which should be necessary according to the manufacturers.

When I asked the guys at the local big box home supply store about this they said they've sold hundreds and have never heard this question before.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom

Me too! I've tried the aluminum replacement channels and looked at a Marvin Tilt-pak channel and neither seem to fit the window channels on my 1926 home. Here's some pictures of my window channels demonstrating the problem:

I need to refurbish or replace 6 remaining windows so I'll be revisiting this issue soon. Haven't talked with the window manufacturers or installers yet on how best to solve the problem though.

Reply to
nx.filter

Yep. This is exactly my problem and I have the same aluminum channels from Quaker Manufactuing. What puzzles me is that I think our window jamb width is "the standard" at 3 1/4" which means none of these replacment jambs fit most people's windows. I'm still hoping someone on this newslist will explain this. I thought if routing out the bottom of my sash to get the window to fit as you did, but instead, I cut the side pieces of the jambs off to narrow the width. The front and back stops hold the sashes anyway.

I'd buy Marvin Til-Pak's myself if I could get them to fit without removing the blind stop.

- Tom

Reply to
Tom