Repairing stripped finish on Thermador gas stove stop

Our "brilliant" cleaning people, stripped the "black" finish off of the top of our Thermador gas stove by using some unknown (presumably abrasive) cleaning fluid.

Specifically, instead of the satin black finish, streaks of steel are showing through on the steel plates that cover the cooktop surface underneath the burners and grills.

Besides just buying new plates, is there any way to recoat or refinish the plates?

Specifically, is there any type of paint or other finish that I can apply over the stripped areas? Since it is all black, even a reasonably close color match would be better than seeing the bright silver metal showing through.

Not sure what type of "special" paint is needed. While the top doesn't get red hot since it is below the burners, there is definitely reflected heat when a pot is on the burner. Also the surface needs to be pretty durable to withstand drippings and cleanings.

Reply to
blueman

A couple of suggestions...

Brownells, the firearms parts people, have a very nice epoxy paint in satin black for aluminum and other metals. Stinks badly, and takes a couple of days to set up, but really bonds well. I'd try that. Name is something like "Alumihyde," I believe. I have used it on all sorts of stuff from firearms to tools. Really tough stuff. I have it on some pliers in my car tool kit that rattle around. Did it 2 years ago, and when cleaning off the tools, noted that there weren't any chip. Stuff is about $14/can + shipping.

There are also some paints you can get in automotive parts stores for exhaust manifolds. I have no idea what color, etc., but they are obviously designed to handle heat. I haven't used them, but that is one possibility.

Reply to
professorpaul