Repairing crumbling concrete steps - Help!

Hello all I own a 40 year old home in the Northeast with poured concrete front steps. Previous owner put carpet on the concrete steps and porch, which has resulted in crumbling and breaking off of some of the steps. I have read about different ways of repairing it, but many say that applying concrete to repair won't last, even when drilling and putting metal pins to help retain the concrete patches in place. I would just like to repair it with concrete, apply a good sealer and paint on it, and be done with it. If that won't work, I would consider having a contractor cover it with interlocking or flagstones, or even build a wood porch on top of the concrete. Any ideas on how to do a solid and lasting repair to the damaged steps would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.

Reply to
rastlouis

I doubt if the carpet caused any damage, it just hid it for a long time.

The only good fix I know of is to replace the steps.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As someone else in the northeast who loves all things stone, I have to agree. Any repair involving mortar or concrete is likely to suffer from freeze/thaw and break up in fairy short order. You can try hammering out enough concrete to get bricks or concrete pavers (preferred; bricks get SLIPPERY in winter) on, but again the mortar that holds them together will be a challenge to keep intact for long.

For short term, try breaking some concrete off and putting a fresh coat on with sealer. It may last at least a while. Long term, jackhammer the whole thing up and start again with what you want. I used granite slabs resting on compacted earth. My grandkids will be able to visit them.

Reply to
Andrew Duane

Thanks. Sounds indeed like freeze/thaw cycle is working against me! Many other houses in my project still have the original steps intact (no carpet). I believe my carpet retained moisture (it was always wet) and ended up causing the concrete underneath to crumble and break off on the steps. Unfortunately, jackhammer and start from scratch is not a (cheap, anyway) option: the steps are poured and form the upper walls and ceiling of the cold-storage room underneath, extending out from the foundation. If the steps were the cheap pre-cast variety, jackhammer would work, but not in my case alas.

A couple of people have recommended building wooden steps and porch on top of the ailing concrete, either using pressure treated or cedar ($). Not sure wooden steps would match the front of the house (all red brick), maybe if painted with a reddish stain. Might be the way to go, though I may try to put some patches on and see how long they last...

Cheers.

Reply to
rastlouis

Reply to
Joe

Hi Joe, I was going to try to put some forms and repair myself, with quick setting cement and latex-based concrete adhesive (that you mix into the concrete to promote better bonding with the existing concrete). But as you suggest, I may want to see what a concrete pro may recommend or offer, as a more long-lasting solution. Cheers, --Robert

Reply to
rastlouis