Rendered fat 'S' cookies

Mention of rendering lard in another thread reminded me that I've been searching on and off for years for a recipe for a cookie that uses rendered fat from ??a sheep?, lamb? goat? ?????.

I had the cookies 40 years ago cooked by a lady who I think was of eastern European heritage. They were 'S' shaped, melt in your mouth morsels. She mentioned that the unusual flavor was from rendered fat.

Ring any bells?

This time my Google searches turned up the term 'Esse di Raveo' for an S-shaped biscuit- but I can't find a recipe.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim Elbrecht

Yeah, the bells on the cardiac monitor.

I'm sure they taste great. That's how you know God isn't a woman - a woman would NEVER have made fat taste so good.

RicodJour

Take a cup of Kerrygold Pure Irish butter (not just any old butter) at room temperature and whisk it with a cup of powder (not granular) sugar until it is white in color at which time add flour until it is just barely hard enough to form. First form sticks and them form the sticks into an S shape. Place on baking tray and bake at 325 fahrenheit until they are a light yellow in color. Do not rush it. Remove from oven, wait to cool and serve. You can find the butter at Vons or Pavilions.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Y'know- that *could* be it. Talk about serendipitous accidents. It could have been the butter she couldn't find- not the fat.

No Vons or Pavillions in my neck of the woods-- I see it is also at Trader Joes and Costco but they are also several hours away. I do have a Sam's and a Shoprite nearby- I'll try them.

Where it is supposed to be for anyone who might wonder-

Do you use salted or unsalted?

Thanks- Even if it isn't the cookie- I'm looking forward to trying Kellygold.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Fat, salt, sugar aren't those the three basic food groups here in America? Oh yeah, and ketchup makes it four, gotta have our veggies.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Unsalted, unless you want to add a whole lot more sugar for nothing.

Reply to
Molly Brown

You might also try putting in a little mahlab in it for flavor. Here is a link to it:

Molly Brown

I posted the original to the wrong newsgroup- but felt it only fair to tell Molly I tried her recipe.

[so it took me a month to get a round toit-- it was worth the wait]

Molly Brown wrote:

-snip-

I found the Kerrygold in the cheese display at Samsclub. These were super nice butter cookies- but not the flavor I remember. [someone mentioned goose fat & I'm going to start looking for it-- I might just do the same cookie with other fats]

I don't know how much my interpretation resembled yours- I only ended up using 1 1/2 cups of flour. Made ropes about 3/4" in diameter, and cut them about 4" long. Only made 22 cookies-- but I think I'll only eat 1/2 a cookie at a time because I'm really trying to eat healthy.

Took 23minutes to brown them up.

Thank you-- We will be making them again.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You could make a deal with a local plastic surgeon to get some alternative fat. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

-snip-

Oh man-- I'm not sure if that is the germ of a sci-fi movie or a business opportunity.

I know we can't eat human flesh--- but fat isn't flesh, is it?

You're evil-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Well, it would probably be easily digestible because of its source and be completely compatible for the same reason. No assimilation problems there, load it with vitamins. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas