Removing slight rises in concrete floor?

I'm getting ready to lay a laminate floor in my basement. The floor is smooth enough, except for two places.

In one place, there was a 2'x4' when the floor was poured. This created a raised area and a lip, as well as a depression where the 2'x4' was. I have no problem filling the depression, but I can't figure out how to remove the "hump" around it. I've tried a chisel and large hammer with little results.

The second is simply a small hump in the concrete. Unfortunately, it comes up enough to interfere with the flooring, so I need to smooth it out.

Anyone have any ideas how I could do this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Calab

chip grind, basically remove and use floor leveling compound to level floor.

use caution if the floor EVER has water troubles, espically if coincrete floor is below grade.

you must fix ny and all water troubles before making things nice with laminate

Reply to
hallerb

Rent a concrete grinder. It looks like a floor polisher.

Reply to
SteveB

How large a hammer? Get a BFH ! These work fine near the edge of concrete

These work fine anywhere on unreinforced concrete
or

Rent a small electric jackhammer.

Limp Arbor

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Try an air hammer with a flat chisel. Hold it as flat as possible to the floor and move it around to knock raised parts loose. If you hold it too vertical it will eat a large hole in a second. Maybe dial down the air pressure to start to avoid knocking out large pieces.

Surface is not smooth when done but you are going to fill anyway.

Take about a minute and make less dust than a grinder. Pieces all get knocked all over the place.

Reply to
Reno

I got an air hammer - with 5 bits - at HF. Cost, oh, about $7.00. It made really short work of removing carpet tack strips! Then I used my $20 HF angle grinder to cut off the remaining nails.

Ain't power tools grand?

Reply to
HeyBub

Additional helpful hints:

  1. Get a laminate floor ratchet clamp. No matter how much you beat on those suckers (with a rubber hammer), there'll still be some that don't snap together. Here's one:

  1. If you don't have a table saw, HD has a Ryobi for about . There will be some tiles you'll have to rip - plus cut-offs. I did one room using a miter saw for the cut-offs (cut - flip - cut), then said "Screw this!" and bought the cheap table saw. Worked swell.

You will be more than pleased with your new floor.

Reply to
HeyBub

Use an angle grinder. It makes a lot of dust but works fast. You know how to fill the depression.

This works great for leveling concrete around toilet flanges so the pot doesn't rock.

--Andy Asberry--

Reply to
Andy Asberry