Removing Pine Stair Treads

We had carpeted stairs on our back staircase that are pine treads. We want to remove them and install Oak treads that will not be carpeted. Are there any tricks to removing the old treads? They seem to be installed with 9 nails and some liquid nails. When removing the treads will the risers be ruined and need replacing as well?

Any secrets for installing the new oak treds? We want to make sure there is no squeeking - is that just a matter or screwing the stairs into the runners or are there other tips and tricks for this as well?

Any info would be great. thanks. Rick

Reply to
rsina

Just out of curiousity, have you thought of sanding the pine treads, then stain them to give an oak look? Thats what I did.

Reply to
Mikepier

Sounds like a cheap set of stairs. Good stairs are built with the treads, risers inserted in motises and 'squeak proofed' with glued in wedges. If they truly are installed just by nailing, it shouldn't be a problem to remove, just very messy. It will help a bunch if you can get at them from underneath. It shouldn't ruin the stringers with a bit of care in the removal.

I built a set for my basement to replace the exterior access (old house) and only nailed the treads and risers - no squeaks but it isn't used all that much.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No matter what kind of stain you put on pine, it isn't going to look like oak.

Reply to
Doug Miller