Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling

RTFM. Some infared thermometers don't read well off shiny surfaces. Mine suggested a hit of masking tape,a nd then read the masking tape.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's what I thought. The fans are good in the winter, to blow the hot air from the top of the room down to where you are, but in the summer doing that just makes one hotter. Right?

There is a slight breeze from slow ceiling fans, but a better breeze is created by a table fan that blows low altitude cool air on you, rather than ceiling level hot air.

Of course the hot air will get cooled by the AC, but why bother, when it can just stay in the upper altitudes of the room, right?

Reply to
mm

Wrong. Ceiling fans blowing downward, with the AC running is always going to feel cooler. Your AC vents are either located high up on the wall or in the ceiling. So when the AC is blowing, the cool air is going to blow above the fan creating a "cool breeze" effect. Fans on vaulted ceilings should hang about 8ft from the floor.

With a good fan you get much more than a slight breeze. I suggest "The Hunter Original" 56" fan for the larger rooms.

I've owned 3 houses with vaulted ceilings and the "Hunter Original" is the only fans I have ever used in the larger rooms.

Reply to
BigELilE05

So you like to take that hot air trapped in the vaulted ceiling and spread it around eh? Big stupid mistake, but to each his own.

Ps: my electric bill is less than yours.

Reply to
JimL

If you have hot air "trapped" in your ceiling that is 5 degrees warmer than the room temperature, than you, my friend, have some insulation problems. Or worse.

How Ceiling Fans Save Energy Fans used to supplement air conditioning save energy by permitting a higher thermostat setting. Air movement from the fan evaporates moisture on the skin and makes a person feel cooler. With this cooling effect, most people can raise their thermostat three to four degrees and feel just as comfortable. And that can mean savings of around 25 percent on your cooling costs. For every degree you raise the air conditioning thermostat, you can save 7 percent to 10 percent on cooling costs. However, there are no energy savings if you use a ceiling fan and do not raise the air conditioning thermostat.

Install ceiling fans - they make it feel at least four degrees cooler during the summer.

Ceiling Fan w/ lighting: Ceiling fans can provide more than comfort. Depending on when and how you operate them, they can also help you save on your energy bills. In summer, run the blades counter-clockwise (downward) to cool more efficiently. On hotter days, dialing up the thermostat by only 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower air conditioning costs by almost 15% over the course of the cooling season. Use ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs in the ceiling fan light fixture for cooler running light bulbs and more energy savings. And remember: Ceiling fans cool only people, not the room, so when you leave the room turn the ceiling fan off.

Why a Ceiling Fan Just the movement of the air inside the house in the summer may be enough to lower that thermostat for a couple of degrees, and save you money on those summertime electric bills. You might save between 10% and 40%! That means that the ceiling fans could easily pay for themselves over just one or two summers in hot climates. Ceiling fans don't lower the temperature in the room, they just provide a breeze that can make you feel at least 5=B0 cooler. Make sure the ceiling fan blades are rotating counter-clockwise for a cooling effect. That's the direction most ceiling fans need to move to get a downdraft.

Conclusion In the hot, humid Southeast, fans can make people more comfortable and reduce air conditioning costs. They can improve interior ventilation and allow thermostat settings to be raised without sacrificing comfort. The use of ceiling fans and oscillating fans are effective cooling measures that should be considered and implemented where feasible by any homeowner in the southeast.

6=2E How do fans cool the room - do they actually lower the temperature? A ceiling fan cools by creating a wind chill effect; it does not lower the room temperature. Wind chill effect makes you feel cooler by accelerating the evaporation of perspiration on your skin. It is the feeling you get when you open the window in a moving car. If you have a ceiling fan in a room whose temperature is 27 degrees Celcius, running the fan can create a wind chill effect that makes you feel as if the temperature is 23 degrees Celcius. When used in conjunction with an air conditioner, a ceiling fan can lower energy costs, because you can set the thermostat of your air conditioner at a higher temperature. 7=2E Can the fan be used in the winter for any beneficial purpose? A ceiling fan can help lower energy consumption in the winter by up to 10%. The temperature of the air in a heated room varies in layers; the air near the ceiling is warmer than the air near the floor, because warm air rises. A ceiling fan can help push the warmer air that is trapped near the ceiling back down into the room, thus de-stratifying the layers of warm air. As a result, the warm air is circulated where it is needed, and the heating system does not overwork to warm the room. To properly de-stratify a warmed room, the ceiling fan should be run in a clockwise direction. This pushes the air up against the ceilings and down the walls, to gently re-circulate the warm air without creating a cooling wind chill effect.

My monthly gas bill for my car is less than yours. What kind of dumbass comment is that?=20

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Reply to
BigELilE05

replying to Todd, Glen DeLarrio wrote: I am Magnet Man,and I am not afraid of no-one..ok?

Reply to
Glen DeLarrio