Relocating from flood

Only because Texas spans several climate zones.

If only East Texas were considered, it would be first or second worst with Louisiana taking the other spot.

Scott Lurndal

You don?t see it with just the warmer areas of Texas either.

And you deleted from the quoting the problem with Mexico and Germany too.

Reply to
Alex

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Reminds me of Ike & Tina Turner ~~~ rollin down the river~~~~~~

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 14:57:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Ya can't fix stupid. Do you expect drivers to have life jackets when they don't even have car seats for kids? When they drive past a sign that says area subject to flooding and get stuck? They wouldn't even know how to don a life jacket.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 16:04:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Sandy hit..

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 21:12:27 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

How do you all this stuff?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Which stuff?

It's the first of a trilogy that includes 'Bronze Summer' and 'Iron Winter'. I only read the first but from the reviews in 'Iron Winter' it's the oncoming glaciers that are the climatic problem.

The Doggerland area was under ice during the Last Glacial Maximum, was populated at people headed north from the refugia, and then submerged again. Cycles come and go.

I live at the bottom of a lake. The valley floor is around 3000'. At it's prime, Glacial Lake Missoula's shoreline was at 4200'. Several of the trails have markers at the 4200' level. Today it's a scenic view.

Noe that was a flood...

Reply to
rbowman

The only thing that is endangered is our lifestyle and perhaps our overpopulation but this is mostly going to be a real estate problem in the foreseeable future. The only question is whether costal areas will try to dredge and fill their way out of sea rise or just walk away Miami is already doing that but not because of sea rise but because the city is built on muck and it's sinking. New Orleans has the same problem. Miami is just trucking in dirt and filling in. The streets are already higher. They are jacking up buildings now.. I bet Surfside is a bunch of castles on a hill when they get built back. Maybe not. People are stupid ... and cheap.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:58:01 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

All these songs & topics? I feel like a kindergarten kid.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 00:03:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

They could rebuild with the best of everything but if it's not maintained...

Reply to
Tekkie©

I doubt the original builders planned for it to be there 40 years. These things tend to get torn down and replaced by bigger buildings. The City of Surfside has zoning in place that makes that less attractive. (height restrictions and impact fees for starters).

Reply to
gfretwell

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:07:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

I think that would be counterintuitive for tax purposes.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Some of these Florida cities are so against development, they will forgo tax revenue. They make it up on impact fees they charge developers who are willing to build. It is so bad here that a neighbor left a small part of his house standing, paid a house mover to lift it 4 feet to get above FEMA and "remodeled" those 4 walls into a giant house, just to avoid the impact fees from building a new house. I doubt any of the original house is still there now but it was enough to get by the impact fee.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sounds about like what a restraunt in the town I live did. They left the old one, built a new and larger one around it and then threw the old one out the doors and windows.

Our county has an ordanance about mobile homes in some areas. However a modular home (which is the same thing but does not have a VIN tag) can be put in the same place.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Near where I worked in PA, one company bought a house. It still stand but the addition to it is a 50,000 sq. ft. factory and warehouse.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

From an inspection standpoint I can say a "HUD certified" manufactured home meets far stricter standards than an "RV certified" mobile home.

An RV doesn't even have to comply with the NEC and there are no wind code standards. Practicalities say they are good for around 80-90 because they are on the road but the wind code here is 150.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 15:07:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

That is an undertaking I can't imagine. Those fees must be horrendous.

Reply to
Tekkie©

I didn't get it but he had a long explanation involving impact fees permit signoffs and other red tape that made spending the $15k to lift part of the house attractive. I will say remodel permits are cheap and easy here. I still needed engineering but I ended up doing that myself too. The engineer I hired couldn't get his plans through plan review and he ended up submitting mine, under his seal.

Reply to
gfretwell