reconverting fireplace

I have a craftsman style home with a fireplace that was shored up with concrete. There is a small hole in the top of the ceiling of the fireplace since it does have a gas line. I would like to knock out the concrete and be able to enjoy a wood fire.....anyone who has had the joy of doing this, please share.....thanks, Dan

Reply to
dano

I really hate to use this term, but you need a local professional. Nobody here can know your fireplace, your chimney or your climate. Call a chimney guy; this is not a diy.

my opinion, of course,

Keith

I take this to mean there was a functional fireplace at one time and it has been closed off with concrete?

I do not understand this sentence at all. please elaborate or at least try again with different words?

Is there still a chimney above the fireplace and sticking out the roof? Some old homes had a brick mantle/fake fireplace that folks would stick a gas heater in.

Reply to
lee houston

Reply to
buffalobill

I agree with the recommendation to get it looked at by a professional. Otherwise you are, literally, playing with fire. There a lot of things that could go wrong: the chimney has deteriorated, there are nests plugging it up, it has old creosote buildup, it has been blocked or removed, there never was a chimney, etc. Any of these could become fatal (or at least a big mess) if you just knock out the cement and build a fire. Also, you need to know if there is an operating flue control (way to shut the flue when not using the fireplace). The problem is, some chimney "professionals" will try to sell you a lot of expensive repairs you don't really need - this has happened to me. Try to get a personal recommendation from a neighbor. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff