Recessed lights wasting lots of heat

Hi,

I have a bathroom with several HALO H7T IP recessed light housings. I can feel the warm air rushing up in them. What is a good, safe (hopefully inexpensive) remedy for this?

Reply to
John Harlow

Switch to compact fluourescent fixtures.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Can you get to the attic above them? If so build a drywall box over the can and you can then insulate it. There is also a prefabricated enclosure you can buy at a builder's supply. Energy codes are starting to require this so there are more products coming on the market.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
RBM
041215 1415 - Greg posted:

Yes, and replace incandescant lamps with the newer spiral fluorescent lamps, but only if you don't have a dimmer on them.

Reply to
indago

I think we have a winner. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Reply to
John Harlow

Ok, I got these today. Although I got them to work, they have to have the crappies spring mounts I've ever seen. They took much coercing to make fit. At least they are in and keeping air from pouring through into the attic.

They aren't gasketed where they meet the ceiling though; should I use caulk around the perimeter?

Reply to
John Harlow