Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh my! So you really weren't just trying to be a wise ass in your reponse to my original post after all! You really do believe what you so clearly misrepresent here as having been suggested!

Ya think?

Ken

"The emperor has no clothes..." -Hans Christian Andersen

Reply to
Ken

You better go back to the books then. The pressure at the output end (the end that we are concerned with) of a flowing circuit can be increased by a larger diameter pipe.

Whether hydraulic or electrical the conduit can restrict flow by creating pressure drops in a active circuit. The OP will not see this benefit in pressure but that does not mean it doesn't exist.

Reply to
tnom

OK then, what are the number? If you have 100 psi input on a 1/2" pipe that is 10 feet long, what is the pressure at the output?

Then you add 10 feet of 3/4" pipe what will the pressure be at the end.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK, then how about the waste of energy? Unless you are taking cold showers all of that extra water needs to be heated.

Reply to
George

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh my! You came here knowing nothing and now you disparage comments by others. Just what is misrepresented?

No one has yet explained or proven that a larger pipe will INCREASE pressure. The only way to increase pressure is to have a higher head or mechanically, as with a pump. There are ways of reducing pressure drop, but that is a different method all together.

Did you understand my analogy of making cold?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Simply you can't say that. Law of Physics deals with several parameters. For one, if incoming rate of water flow is constant, bigger pipe lowers pressure. It all depends on the situation, rate of flow, intial pressure at the inlet, rate of flow at the outlet, even ambient temperature, etc. all matters. I think you better go back to book as well. Remember Boyle & Charles law?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I think you posted to argue, not to gather information. Simple answer to your original question, increasing pipe diameter as you stated won't make any difference. May make things worse. I thought water saver shower head was a good idea. I live in Calgary in a house with 4 bath rooms. All my plumbing is done to save water and our water is on meter. Remember water is becoming scarce and we have to do everything to conserve it. My son is in water conservation and waste water recycling. According to him, the outlook is pretty grim for good water supply in the coming years. Sounds like you have this idea of your own and trying to justify it to try. Then just go ahead and try and come back here to report the result.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In your above situation it will be 99.999 psi but it will be lower than 100. If you were to decrease the pipe size it would be even lower. It will not be "NEVER LOWER" as you stated earlier.

Reply to
tnom

I was just waiting for someone to pull that card. "Waste" of energy? First of all, who's energy are we talking about here? Your's or mine? I pay (and pay dearly) for the energy I use. Yet it's not like I have money to pour down the drain either. I'm not at all one to take long showers. The quicker an effective shower the better for me as I have other things I'm more interested in spending time with. Hence my shower needs to be a robust one. [And not that this should concern anybody but me and those living under my roof, I'm decidedly not interested in increasing volume/flow rate for points elsewhere in my household.]

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

No meanings are twisted. Facts are facts. Probably best that you kill file me as I'm not going away. But, if you want to join my fan club, for a $10 cash payment you get an autographed 5 x 7 color photo of me with my plumbing equipment and pressure gauge.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes facts are facts.............

"This Edwin Pawlowski guy is bent on twisting the meaning of what you are saying" " he evidently plays to make himself look 'tall'"

Reply to
tnom

Can't come up with a disparaging comment of your own so you have to copy another's? Welcome to my fan club. As soon as I receive the $10 payment, the autographed color photo and membership card will be on their way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Guys, guys, guys, why don't we stick to a topic we all know something about, like 'lektricity?

Reply to
lwasserm

You're right if you're looking at the "pressure" ( force x mass ) of a physically larger output. Like trying to put your hand over a 1/2" pipe @ 50 psig, vs. a 2" pipe @ 50 psig, to stop the flow.

However, psig (pounds per square inch gauge) is psig.

If you put a gauge on a 1" pipe , run 10 ft., then bell up to say 24", add another gauge, each gauge will read the same static pressure. At flow, it will behave as it should with standard friction losses or Cv applied. No magical increase in psig.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

It's fun to sit back and watch the new found so called experts argue with people who are the real experts on the subject.

Ed, your not missing anything and your not crazy, some people are just a little thick and it takes longer. Good luck.

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs

All pipes have loss, otherwise we'd have a superconductor pipe which doesn't exist. Magical increases in pressure were never discussed. A possible increase of pressure at the output end assuming a lossy pipe can be achieved.

Reply to
tnom

.........yea, OK fine.

Reply to
-zero

Agree. Static pressure will not increase; however, dynamic pressure will increase. My $0.02 :)

That said, my oldish house was built with 1/2" copper pipes. I recently changed all the trunk lines to 3/4". The shower I use now is fed by a 3/4" trunk line, then to a 72" long 1/2" pipe to the shower head.

I notice no meaningful pressure increase during a shower (but it has to be there after all that work!)

The downside was that it takes longer for hot water to reach the shower because of the increased volume in the pipe.

I haven't really noticed for lack of samples; but, should someone flush a toilet during a shower, there should be less of a pressure drop at the shower head - probably the only justification for doing the 3/4" upgrade.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

No it's not fun to sit back and watch a so called professional make a donkey's ass of himself; transparently pretending to set "non-experts" straight by resorting to arguing against things of an obvious ignorant nature that simply no one suggested whatsoever in the first place.

My apologies to Larry Wasserman (and everyone else)... I'll let it go now.

BTW, thanks again to all who were courteous enough to accomodate my persistence in my quest for a more complete understanding of facts presented here and elsewhere. I learned what I came here for and then some.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty