question about painting a room baby blue over a brilliant bright green color...

Okay, here is the situation... we just bought a house a month ago and painted my daughters room green. It came out to be much darker and not the shade we wanted. We thought it owudl grow on us but alas it hasn't. We want to re-paint it baby blue, how can you do that without having to use a million coats of paint over it?

TIA!

Reply to
Amy

Use a white primer first.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

....and don't try to get away with cheap paint, unless you really like painting multiple times.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Also, I've painted every room in my house at least twice since I moved in three years ago, once when I bought it and once when my fiance moved and decided she didn't like my color selections. One thing I've learned and suspect you probably have with your green paint is once you decide on a color you like go at least one or two shades lighter in the same family.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

....and ALWAYS let your wife choose the final color, so you can blame her if it's not quite right. Or at least, you can keep your mouth shut and she won't blame YOU for the result.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Divorced. Among other things, we negotiated kitchen design for 10 years and got nowhere. It all revolved around my only 3 requirements: An exhaust fan which vented directly to the outside, a dishwasher and a large double-bowl stainless steel sink.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yeah, I painted a room last week. I followed the previous poster's advice and had her choose the color. When I got home the next day I started the second coat. Half way through I get a call. She says not to do the second coat because she wanted a different color. I talked to myself with the mute button on for a few sceconds and then replied ok. Since then I have painted her next choice and then went back to the original color I did one and a half coats of. It is all somehow my fault because the first time she saw my house over two years ago with rooms of different colors that didn't 'flow' (I've come to hate that word) I must have made some sort of a comment that I hate bland walls so it's my fault because she couldn't go with a basic beige. It's also my fault that I prefer working with Sherwin Williams paint over Benjamin Moore.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

"I talked to myself with the mute button on for a few sceconds" bad move! I once started bitching up a storm after I thought I had hung up my cell phone. She only heard the first 1-3 words but that was enough. Won't even tell you about the time I was walking through the airport with my co-worker and my laptop bag hit my phone on my hip... ever since then I have not worn a cell on my hip. I hand carry it and hit "end" a lot.

"Sherwin Williams" best paint I've EVER used. EVER. Looks like crap going on, dries wonderfully (cashmere line). I've tried MANY different brands and the extra work/coats more than justify the cost of SW.

Jim Tiberio wrote:

Reply to
Jo

It's hard to keep your mouth shut when you're laughing as I did when my wife selected a red for our doors and trim.

I also have taken to hiding the swatches. She picked out a yellow for a room...then saw it live and said "no way". Now we find a color we light and buy it several shades lighter. Works everytime.

Reply to
ryeish

For me yellow is the worst in that line. It always turns out being a whole lot brighter than I expected. Yellow is a fine color, I just can't seem to choose a shade that won't blind me.

And I recall one time I was house hunting and looked at one house where the living room had just been repainted. A bright lime green. I am sure when the color was chosen they thought it was going to be a faint green color. It was definitely one of those "repaint me" rooms.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill