Question about Comfortglow gas heater from DESA Tech. Do you have one like these?

Hi.

I have an older model of this kind and I have no clue how much it would cost me to operate this thing during the winter.

I called a DESA technican who told me that if I run it at its maximum I would use 29.133 cubic foot per hour. A woman of my gas company wrote me that a cubic feet gas per hour costs in my area 0.27 cents.

Good grief, that would mean that I use USD 7.87 per hour when I operate this heater? Can this be?

I checked the information on the heater. It says nothing about ccf but BTU. It says that operated at maximum it the heater would use 30,000 BTU. But I have no clue what BTU means.

What do you say?

Leo

Reply to
seekingnewhome

Propane or Natural Gas? There's 90,000(=/-) BTU's in a gallon of propane. That's about 3 hours per gallon.

Reply to
Tom Lachance

Hi Tom,

It is natural gas.

Leo

Reply to
seekingnewhome

snipped-for-privacy@myway.com wrote in news:1194584110.472959.196040 @k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

That gas price looks suspicious. Find your gas bill and divide the number of therms used by the cost. That'll give you an estimate of the gas price on a per therm basis. It won't be quite right because there usually are fixed costs included on a bill. A therm is 100,000 BTUs or about 100 CF.

Is that enough info to help you do the math? Are you really paying ~27 $/therm? As a comparison I used 22 therms and paid $23 last month.

Reply to
Clark

Thanks, Clark. I think that technican who gave me the gas price was a weirdo. I think your calculation is more real.

If my heater uses 300,000 BTU on maximum per hour (and I likely will not operate it on maximum all the time, probably only to heat up an area briefly), I used then three therms, I guess.

I have now to figure out how much a therm will cost me. Thanks, Clark, I know more than before. Have a good weekend.

Leo

Reply to
seekingnewhome

snipped-for-privacy@myway.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Looks like you're on track. Watch the decimal place though - I believe it should be 30,000 BTU/hr or ~1/3 a therm. That'd be about forty cents around here. The most I'd expect anywhere in the US would be about a buck, maybe a buck fifty for the highest gouging utility. :-)

Reply to
Clark