Puzzling Lawm Mower Problem

Except I BELIEVE this mower has a Tecumseh engine on it, which uses a gravity feed float type carb with NO pump and NO diaphragm., And therefore NO chance, technically, of a vapour lock.

see:

(SN+220300001-220999999)&dn=3329_334-_3340012-0009

Reply to
clare

KISS!! check for spark, check for compression, check for fue......

its one of these........

Reply to
bob haller

There should be a dip tube in the gas tank, and there is sometimes a filter on the bottom of it.

Here's another thing to try. If you have an old mower with a gas tank, mount that tank on something next to your mower, run a gas line from that tank to your carb. If it starts normally, you have a fuel tank or line clog. If not, it's deeper in the engine.

Another thing, are you getting a spark when that starter is spinning? They sell spark testers, or just take off the plug wire and hold a screwdriver in the hole and 1/8 inch from any metal part of the engine. You should see a spark. If you do, it's a gas problem. If not, it's electrical.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

Maybe your wife is having an affair with the guy at the mower repair shop, and she wants an excuse to get him over to the house :)

Reply to
fred.flintstone

Does this thing by any chance have a compression release system of some sort on it to make it easy to pull start? If so, perhaps that's sticking in the released position and when you pull the cord it resets it. When it won't start with the electric starter does it turn over REALLY fast compared to when it does start with the starter?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hmmm, If it is too ruch(flooding), could smell it. No?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

_________

See above - I thought I followed your suggestion "b" by only running it for about a minute. I then tried the key start, which didn't work. Then I let it cool for about 15 minutes and it started with the key, the same way it would start when cool.

Reply to
mandhat

No dip tube on a Tecumseh

Reply to
clare

Usually - a wet flood for sure, but a "dry flood" perhaps not.

Reply to
clare

Your problem has me puzzled as much as you. It sounds like an electrical problem, not a fuel problem. I am not familiar with your mower but I would check for spark while cranking before you pull the cord, if you haven't already done this. Some have low oil sensors and other safety switches. Good luck and let us know if you find the problem.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

I had the exact same problem - here is the solution. Step 1.) Remove the ignition coil and clean any corrosion where the coil mounts to the engine. Clean the mounting surfaces with sandpaper. This will provide a better ground and a stronger spark. Step 2.) Replace the "Air Vane Spring" (choke spring). This helps with "Hot" starts.

Reply to
Mark M