Putty over nail head holes?

I had new windows installed on my row house. Being landmarked the window frames had to be wood. I hired a fellow to paint them. He did not fill the nail head holes with putty. Half way through the job I asked him about it, and he replied that he didn't have any putty. Besides seeing the white dots where the nails are, is there any wood preservation reason that they should have been filled?

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Gee, I can't think of a better reason to do a second rate job than that.

Frankly I am not sure if not filling them would do any damage, but I would not be surprised if it did, but I would have wanted it done. I suggest filling them and then spotting them with a dab of paint. I would expect the painter to do it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

He didn't putty the nailheads because you didn't include that prep work in the paint contract. No you don't need to putty the nail heads (assuming the installers used the right kind of nails) since putty is just cosmetic. Others may argue that you need putty for weathering, but that isn't true if you have a good paint job. Why don't you do it yourself and then put a dab of the paint over the putty?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon