Pressure treated wood outdoor swing/slide: should I use wood sealer??

Hi. Just inherited a 5-year old pressure-treated wood outdoor swing/slide sets. It looks like bare wood and never painted or sealed. Should I seal it? If so, any suggestions on product to use? Thanks Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

If it looks good now, use it and pass it on when your kids are done with it. They won't care if it is pretty or not. Keep the end grain wood away from direct soil contact if you can, using concrete pavers, whatever.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Or are you concerned about the pressure treating chemicals being in contact your kids? Personally, if it was my kids I might seal it with one of the heavier sealer stains that might minimize touch contact. I have used Behr's higher priced stain on our deck. Can't say it is the prettiest finish on earth but it should put some body between the wood and kids hands.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

No, not overly concerned about exposure. Just want to keep it looking nice, avoid splinters, etc. Should I look for polyeurathane? something else?

Reply to
millinghill

Is the actual slide wood???

Reply to
hrhofmann

No, slide is plastic. "Fortress" is wood, as are the main horizontal bar and vertical end supports for swings.

Reply to
millinghill

Power wash or otherwise clean thoroughly then use something like Arborcoat from Ben Moore. A bit pricey but provides a beautiful finish.

Reply to
BonnettDecorating

I have a two kids window swings which are very good but I think that children will like this. I just want to give it for free.

Reply to
annagold

x-no-archive: yes

We have a swing set which is stained and sealed. Every year the wood turns = a dark colour, fading, and we have to pressure wash it to strip off the jun= k accumulated on the wood, reseal, and it looks as good as new. Even pressu= re treated wood will fade over time given enough exposure to the elements.

Michael Lalonde Sudbury, ON Jumlers.com food catering

Reply to
gourmetkingsudbury